The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

YouTube videos of Ameraucana ???

(1/1)

John:
Keeping in mind our mission statement...

--- Quote ---The purpose of the Ameraucana Breeders Club is to encourage the continued improvement of Ameraucana bantams and large fowl through breeding, exhibition, and dissemination of relevant information.
--- End quote ---
I came across a couple videos on YouTube that said the chickens featured were Ameraucana, but they weren't.  Misinformation isn't new, but I still feel it is important to educate and set the record straight when possible and time permits so I posted comments on those videos.  I'm not out to put down someone else's chicken, but to fulfill our club's mission it is extremely important that the public first knows what is and isn't an Ameraucana.
Here is one comment I made...

--- Quote ---They are chickens, but they are not Ameraucana chickens as claimed by the video title and text in the video. Chickens have to meet a "standard" breed description by the American Poultry Association (APA) or they are mutts, just as dogs have to meet a standard description by the AKC or they are mutts. Mutt (mongrel) dogs may make the best pet for some and mutt chickens may be the best backyard chickens for some, but they are not "standard" breeds and should never be represented as such.
--- End quote ---

Please consider taking a few minutes to help spread the facts by commenting on false videos and other cyberland propaganda.

Mike Gilbert:
Good response John.   I have done a lot of the same over the years, but was probably not quite as diplomatic in some cases.    We still have folks calling their hatchery production reds Rhode Island Reds too, so ignorance is not limited to one breed.  As long as commercial hatcheries are allowed to misrepresent their chicks, it will never change. 

Christie Rhae:
Have you got a link to the video John?

John:

--- Quote ---Have you got a link to the video
--- End quote ---

Yes, but I didn't post any because I don't want to promote those videos with embedded links.  Here are a couple links, but I've added a space in them.  Just copy and paste them in you browser and delete the space before hitting enter. 
http://youtu.be /2-fcHS_5mhM
Here is one supposedly about Araucana chickens, but someone commented that they were Ameraucana...which they weren't (aren't).
http://youtu.be /RT2lSYTSrgA
Go to YouTube and do a search for Ameraucana and you'll see pages of related videos to critique.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version