Author Topic: Hatching Question?  (Read 4322 times)

gabbyscritters

Hatching Question?
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
The good news is that Gabby's black cock finally has offspring this year! She tried to hatch eggs from his girls late winter through late spring, nothing. He was just one of the girls, he had no interest in doing his roosterly job. Finally, in the heat off summer, he started acting like a rooster again, and Gabby started collecting eggs.
The first hatch was last weekend, with 2 more staggered hatches in the incubator.

All the eggs in the hatcher hatched, one was much later than the others. 5 of the 12 had varying degree of splayed leg? The eggs hatched a full day earlier than expected. When I washed the hatching tray there was a slight dried  blood residue over the bottom? All the chicks are fine now but the one late hatcher, still have it in a bandaid splint,  we'll see if it makes it. The chicks when fully dried were moved to a brooder box with puppy pads over wood pellet bedding for traction.

Incubator info: Brinsea 190, fully electronic with humidity pump. Similar to sportman cabinet only a bit smaller.
New this winter, we hatched out 85 Dutch bantams and 12 Ameraucanas this past winter & spring. Great upgrade from the Little Giant we used for years.

The Dutch always hatched out at 20 days, not uncommon for small bantams. The Ameraucanas about 14 to 18 hours later. All the eggs spent 18 days in incubator racks and then transfered to plastic mesh hatching tray on the bottom of the incubator.
Humidity was set at 55 and then raised to 59 for hatching. Popped chicks out like popcorn. Had one Dutch with splayed leg but that one had other problems, it was the only chick we lost.
I dont recall the dried "blood" residue on the bottom of the hatching tray?

Any ideas of what may have occured?

Mike Gilbert

Re: Hatching Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
Katie, the only thing I can think of is unhealed navels at hatch.  If they are not healed they can drain some fluid, and that may be what you saw on the bottom of the incubtor.  It also makes them susceptible to picking up infections when the navel is unhealed.  If they do have an infection there is little that can be done for them, and they will usually die within a week or so of being hatched.   Between that and the splayed legs I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if the hens were on a proper breeder ration, or more of a maintenance ration?   Proper nutrition is very important for the production of healthy chicks.

gabbyscritters

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Mike, They still were on a gamebird breeder feed. Gabby was hoping to hatch eggs still so the birds are just finishging up the last bag before switching over to gamebird maitenance. Through early summer they had access to their outdoor run(no grass) and rotated days out where they could be have grass and bugs. By mid June they only had their otdoor run, the young Dutch have taken over.

As I said, we were stumped. The incubator settings were the same as we had used for many hatches. We collected eggs for 5 to 6 days, storing them in our stone basement as we have done before. However, before, was winter & early spring, this time is was hot summer with air conditioning running.
None of the Dutch had problems with slipping on the plastic mesh construction hatching tray. We hatched out total of 12 white bantam Ameraucanas but they were not at the same time, we just put the eggs in with the Dutch. Could the Ameraucanas be having a harder time getting traction in the hatching tray?

In the past when I cleaned the hatching tray it just had poops, I dont recall it having the "reddish" residue on the bottom of the tray.

There was no sign of navel problems. That would have explained hatching a day early.

If it is related to nutrition than I am guessing the hot weather is taking a toll on the chickens. We have multiple fans in the coops this summer. When it is hot they get fresh water several times a day. Elvis and his ladies have been the most spoiled, in hope to keep the hens laying and the cock fertile.

The one late hatcher is still small, not sure about that one. All the others are doing great.
Another hatch will be Saturday, we will see what happens.

I knew I would get some possible answers, thanks.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
Okay, so the feed should have been adequate.    Sometimes the feed store hangs onto feed too long and it loses its' potency.   Is the unused feed well covered/sealed?   And how often are the birds fed?   When feed is exposed to warm air it can easily lose nutritional content, and I believe the vitamins are especially volatile when exposed to air and/or sunlight for extended periods of time.   I know my own birds hate to eat the feed left over from the previous day, and will only eat it if I don't give them fresh feed.  If it isn't the feed, the next most likely causes are some subclinical disease, parasites (and I know you watch that carefully), or just plain weak genetics.  As you mentioned, egg storage time, humidity, and temp could play a role in this as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:48:22 PM by Mike Gilbert »

gabbyscritters

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
Thanks Mike
I guess we wait and see what the next 2 hatches bring.
Normally we would not have incubated in the summer, especially with the heat this year.
It just took longer than we had hoped to be able to get fertile eggs
Katie

gabbyscritters

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »
Hatching Update! Gabby now has 10 bantam Ameraucanas. A few did not hatch but the ones that did are all strong and no splayed legs. Dont know what happened with the last hatch but they are doing well now. One more staggered hatch in the incubator.
I think that will be the last hatch for this year. Even with the weather cold in winter and spring it seemed easier having chicks. Were not in chick mode right now and the older youngsters are taking up all the grow out pens.
Katie

bantamhill

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »
 :o You might look at macro/micronutrients as a supplement if it continues to happen, but I suspect it may be a fluke. Something wasn't quite right during egg production for awhile or during incubation and it was probably something you wouldn't have noticed. Some things just happen, like when in a line of pepper of the same variety there are several that do not produce any fruit while the others right next to them go to town. Something is not quite right, yet the plans look okay and are a foot apart.

Michael