Author Topic: Question re: Meets  (Read 18341 times)

John

Re: Question re: Meets
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
The show's show catalog (aka premium book) and/or website should contain a page of rules.  Check out page 3 of this link for the Fowl Fest rules as an example...
http://fowlfest.org/Fall%202012%20Show%20Catalog-web%20R4.pdf
"Real" poultry shows are sanctioned by the APA and generally also the ABA, so their rules also apply and are to be posted at the show as I recall.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
Well my computer didn't like that download, it froze on me.  I checked the online catalog, it wasn't different from what I received. 
I do have a question regarding the entry form.  Ameraucanas are considered bearded, non crested and single comb, right?  Also, do they usually require a double coop or single?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

John

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
Ameraucanas are considered bearded, non crested and single comb, right?
None of that matters with Ameraucanas and other breeds that aren't recognized with alternate traits, like bearded/non bearded & single comb/rosecomb.  See reply #1 on this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1896.msg13663#msg13663

Also, do they usually require a double coop or single?
Single.  Generally only males of extra heavy breeds like Brahmas use double coops, but our "Majestic ones" (aka Ameraucanas) don't. ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:13:43 PM by John »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »

I do have a question regarding the entry form.  Ameraucanas are considered bearded, non crested and single comb, right? 

They better not be single comb or you are looking at a D.Q.    They are pea combed and the judges know that.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
Ameraucanas are considered bearded, non crested and single comb, right?
None of that matters with Ameraucanas and other breeds that aren't recognized with alternate traits, like bearded/non bearded & single comb/rosecomb.  See reply #1 on this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1896.msg13663#msg13663

Also, do they usually require a double coop or single?
Single.  Generally only males of extra heavy breeds like Brahmas use double coops, but our "Majestic ones" (aka Ameraucanas) don't. ;)

OK.  So under Breed and Variety where it says to list if single or rose comb, bearded or non, I would simply put "Ameraucana Black bearded" and nothing else?  Or just Ameraucana Black?
Sharon

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

I do have a question regarding the entry form.  Ameraucanas are considered bearded, non crested and single comb, right? 

They better not be single comb or you are looking at a D.Q.    They are pea combed and the judges know that.

Well I know they are pea comb.  I was afraid it was a stupid question.  :o

They just didn't have it as an option so I wondered if it was also considered single.
Sharon

John

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Or just Ameraucana Black?
Yes. :)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
Entries close on Tuesday, Oct. 16, for Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Paul Smith

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Well, I got my birds dropped off at the meet.  Waited around to see Paul's birds but I guess I will have to wait until tommorrow.

I do have a question if someone can answer it in time for me.  What do you do to stop your birds beards from getting soaked when they drink?  I have one of my pullets that just drenches her beard when she drinks. The others are not quite as messy as she is.   Do you bring hair dryers or something to dry them off before the judging?  Or are wet beards taken into consideration?  Never done this before, so I was just wondering.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:30:56 PM by greeneggsandham »
Sharon

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 01:52:28 AM »
Sharon,

Water well the night before the show and do not water before judging.  The bird can tolerate not having water for a few hours.
Jean

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »
Oh, thanks Jean.  I was considering that.  The judging is first thing this morning, so she may not dry out in time.  I will remove the cups as soon as I get there.
Sharon

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »
Well, I had a great time at my first show.  I met some very friendly people, Paul, Angela and Matthew among them.  Thank you Paul for all the tips you gave us and the information you shared. 
Thank you Jean and Paul for your tips on my beard wetting pullet!  :)  She dried out in time and ended up winning Champion AOSB.  That was  8)
Thanks, again!  I hope to attend another in the future.
Sharon