Author Topic: Question re: Meets  (Read 18151 times)

Mike Gilbert

Re: Question re: Meets
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
Here in Wisconsin we don't have to check for mosquitos.   We don't look for them, they find us.  But we have very little problem with pox.    I wonder if once they contract it and recover, do they pass on immunity through the egg?    Too lazy to look it up, just thought someone here would know.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Here is a pretty good article regarding Avian Pox:  http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm
I don't see anything about transmitting through the egg, but it does state that:

"Recovered birds do not remain carriers."

So I would assume not.

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
BUT...This article: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204801.htm

Says: Some affected birds may become carriers, and the disease may be reactivated by stress (eg, moulting) or by immunosuppression due to other infections. The disease tends to persist for extended periods in multiple-age poultry complexes.

Who ya gonna believe?  :o

I'll have to keep looking.

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
Ameraucanas get the white scabie sores on their combs and face just like other breeds.
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Here are a couple of quotes worth passing along:

"The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close."

"Many folks want to serve God, but only in an advisory capacity."

"Quit griping about your Church;  if it was perfect you couldn't belong."

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
You'll see the same type of sores on the pea comb and facial area. Just a little harder to detect on birds who don't have large combs and wattles. I had a couple of cockerels come up with it back in January. They both had the dry pox version and recovered fairly quickly. Vaccinated my two flocks (they're located about 8 miles apart) and haven't had any issues since.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
Well, thanks everybody for the replies and answers.  I contacted the show secretary and now find out I have to have my birds pullorum and typhoid tested or NPIP certified with proof of testing before I can enter them for show.  Is this just a requirement of this poultry association or is this the general rule for showing in Arkansas?  Is this a requirement at all the other shows I see people in here advertise about?  I don't think all those kids get their birds tested at the county fair that is held every year, so I am wondering.  I don't want to mess with a bunch of government reg. every year regarding certification and I don't know who to call to get my entries tested by a private individual or what the cost would even be.  Or do they have to test all your birds if you call them out?  What a bummer.  I was getting a little excited about entering a couple of birds.   :'(
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

John

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
I have to have my birds pullorum and typhoid tested or NPIP certified with proof of testing before I can enter them for show.
That is a the rule at most poultry shows that I know of and is required by the states with some variation from state to state.  Pullorum and typhoid are tested together, so it is one test requiring a drop of blood. 
Our only remaining poultry show in Michigan has volunteer pullorum testers to test birds that need it at the door before cooping in with a $1 per bird suggested donation.
We always encourage everyone to have their birds tested before the show to avoid long testing lines at the show.  In this case you would send in a copy of the test paper(s) with your entry form.
Some of us that have NPIP flocks just write our flock number on the entry forms.  Mine is #34-208.  The "34" designates Michigan and my flock was the 208th registered/certified.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:54:23 PM by John »

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Sometimes if you purchased chicks or hatching eggs from a NPIP certified flock you can use the VS9-3 form that comes with your birds to bypass retesting.
Jean

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
Well, that's not an option in my case.  The form says there will be no testing at the show and even though my original eggs came from a breeder here, I had and bred from them too many years for them to be considered anything other than mine now.  Not sure what to do now.
Sharon

John

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Not sure what to do now.
Ask members of that show club or fanciers that you know that exhibit at that show.  Someone should be able to get you lined up with a certified tester to get the job done.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
Well, I found a tester online and went ahead and had the birds I'm bringing tested.  So I'm about ready to go!
I'm fairly excited about it and can't wait to see what other real Ameraucanas look like up close! 
Can anyone tell me if I need to provide bedding or feeder cups?  I assume you bring your own feed, water?
And I noticed something about a silent auction.  What is that about and what makes it silent?
Sharon

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
Most shows put shavings in the cages and provide small plastic cups for feed and water.  We bring feed and water that the chickens are use to.  We have cups designed to hang on the cages.

A silent auction is where you have items on a table with a sheet in front of the items to sign your name and the bid you want to make.  They usually have a starting bid wrote on the sheet.  They will close the bid at a certain time the item will go to the highest bidder.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Paul Smith

John

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
Most shows put shavings in the cages and provide small plastic cups for feed and water.

I haven't seen a show provide feed cups, only water cups.  The show supplies both feed and water and it should state in the show rules that feed is provided.  Most folks put the feed in the show coops on the floor for the birds to eat.  Some of us frown upon leaving your personal items in the show coops while judging is going on, since it can give a judge a hint as to the bird's owner.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
Hmmm...well I guess I better ask someone.  I couldn't find anything in the show booklet that addressed those questions.  It does say APA and ABA rules will govern the judging of the show, but I am not familiar with those rules.  Anything I should know regarding that?
Sharon