Author Topic: AOV question/ exhibiting Lavender/Self-Blue  (Read 3284 times)

dak

AOV question/ exhibiting Lavender/Self-Blue
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
There is a thread on another forum regarding showing birds as AOV.  It seems to be frowned upon. 

So, what is the politically correct way to enter Lavender Ams?  I realize they can't win the breed and go further, yet we are being urged to exhibit our Lavs.  I think I have some decent Lav birds this year and this will be my third year entering them at the local APA show.

This is how I did it last year,

AOV- Self-Blue/Lavender

( yes, I know I'm playing both sides of the fence on the color issue)

John

Re: AOV question/ exhibiting Lavender/Self-Blue
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
Birds are never entered "AOV", but rather by the variety name and in this case it is "lavender".  Entry forms usually have one column to enter both the Breed & Variety names, so this is where you would write "Ameraucana lavender".  The judge should know if a variety is AOV or he/she can check the Standard.  The bird cannot win higher than BV.     
Some exhibitors are thrown off by some entry forms and show rules that say to include "single comb or rose comb" and "bearded or non-bearded", but those are only needed when a breed & variety is recognized with those options.  I've seen exhibitors include that info for every bird they enter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:10:01 PM by John »

Russ

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:26:59 PM »
This is a good question I am wondering what the Gurus will say. I personally am entering a Bantam cockerel as Lavender. I think as a club it was decided to use the term lavender instead of self blue. So for me I feel it is important to stick to the course if we ever want them to be recognized as lavender. I do know (after county fair) some judges truly despise the term "lavender" that might be fueling my fire also lol. Just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents................Russ

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
I entered Lavender Bantams last year and this past winter as "Lavender" and didn't hear anything negative or experience a problem.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

dak

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
Yea, that despise part has me worried.  Once, I find out who the judges are, I will ask around on their leanings.