Author Topic: I am curious  (Read 6624 times)

philipu

I am curious
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:55:39 PM »

I am curious, in showing the Ameraucana?
Which variety in the Large and Bantam are shown
most frequently, and what variety gets the most wins at the
poultry show..
I see a lot of the Blacks,Blues,Wheatens and Blue Wheatens,
all beautiful varieties.
I am getting chicks and started chicks in the Buff, and with
my order from Mckinney which are being sent today, possibly
white, black, blue with the buff.
The buff being my first choice :D
Thanks, phil

Mike Gilbert

I am curious
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:30:23 PM »
Philip,

In large fowl the blacks seem to win most often, maybe because so many of them are raised and shown.  Blues seem to do pretty well too, since they are frequently interbred with the blacks, but I have yet to see one with sufficient lacing.
I had a beautiful strain of whites going a number of years back, but practically gave them away and the fellow who got them never raised a chick out of them.   The rest of the large varieties all need quite a bit of work yet, but they are coming along nicely.

In bantams, white, wheaten, and black seem to win most often.   Whites and wheatens were the first two varieties in the standard (1980)

Mike G.
Wisconsin

philipu

I am curious
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Philip,

In large fowl the blacks seem to win most often, maybe because so many of them are raised and shown.  Blues seem to do pretty well too, since they are frequently interbred with the blacks, but I have yet to see one with sufficient lacing.
I had a beautiful strain of whites going a number of years back, but practically gave them away and the fellow who got them never raised a chick out of them.   The rest of the large varieties all need quite a bit of work yet, but they are coming along nicely.

In bantams, white, wheaten, and black seem to win most often.   Whites and wheatens were the first two varieties in the standard (1980)

Mike G.
Wisconsin

Hi Mike,
Thanks, those are the ones most shown that I have seen.
I hope to get Buffs, one day in the near future that will also
be winning.
In your opinion, what is most needed in the Buff Variety as
far as improvement goes.
I will be getting buff in the large and bantams size?
Thanks, phil

I am curious
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
Hi Phil!
Welcome! Glad to see a familiar name here on the board! And nice to know we will be seeing some more Ameraucanas at the shows around here!!!

:o) Laura

philipu

I am curious
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 09:46:23 PM »
Quote from: lauraphillips
Hi Phil!
Welcome! Glad to see a familiar name here on the board! And nice to know we will be seeing some more Ameraucanas at the shows around here!!!

:o) Laura

Hi Laura,
Don\'t you have Ameracanas in the Buff Variety?
Do have both the bantam and large?
I don\'t know if I will have anything ready for the October Show there in Utah...the birds would be awefully young,
I have some standard size Ameracana in route as we type here.
These stanard size are coming from Gary Mckinney.
Variety Special Deal he has, they should be  white, black, blue and buff.
Also am getting on Johns list for Buffs next year.  I hope.
phil  :D

I am curious
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 09:56:11 PM »
I started in large fowl. But now I am only working with the Bantams. I am able to keep more since they are smaller...lol...you will love the breed. They are wonderful!!!

Mike Gilbert

I am curious
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 11:01:12 PM »
As far as what is needed in the large buffs - I have never raised them, so probably am not the best one to ask.   John,
what would you say?   There are several strains of them out there, so I would say they need more uniformity in shape that conforms to the standard.    Some have dark eyes, should be reddish bay, some have white legs, should be slate.   I think they are really coming along, just need more work.  

Mike G.

John

I am curious
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »
Here are my observations regarding buff Ameraucanas.

With bantam buffs maybe the size is sometimes a bit too big and trying to get an even shade of buff color is always a goal.  I don\'t think there is much wrong with them over all.  I\'ve noticed some black feathers in the wings on some of this years hatch.  I didn\'t see any in my breeders.

The LF need much more work, with size, combs, eye color, sometimes leg color, egg color and of course the buff color itself.