Author Topic: Entering a Meet  (Read 3525 times)

Entering a Meet
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:09:25 AM »
Please bare with me and my ignorance concerning poultry meets.  At this moment I do not have any ameraucana to show but I do have other breeds of poultry. I would like to know the process concerning entering a bird in a show. When I do have ameraucana to show I would like to be educated concerning the process. I would be glad to here anybodies two cents concerning the procedure and any tips they may have concerning getting ready, etc.

Rooster

Entering a Meet
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 10:31:29 AM »
Me, too!

faith valley

Entering a Meet
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 01:43:04 PM »
Here is a link to an article that I wrote on cage training- you might find that very helpful: http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/art_of_cage_training.html

I also have a chapter in my book on entering a show, entry forms, interpreting coop tags remarks, what to put in the show prep kit, what to do each week for the 6 weeks prior to the show, cage training, plus showmanship questions for those of you who have kids that might be interested in  participating in showmanship.  All of the info is pertainent to both the adult and the kids.

Book link: http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/book.html

Dont let the title deceive you - the info is written about waterfowl- but the techniques are the same.

As to Ameraucana: Your class is either AOCCL if a bantam; if a standard chicken it is AOSB. The variety would be your color type : white, or wheaten, or black.... they sex would be OM or C if a male over the age of one; YM or K if a male under the age of one; OF or H if a female over the age of one; and YF or P if a female under the age of one.

Entries are usually due  3 weeks before a show- entries fees range in price from 2.00 to 3.50 per bird for a single coop. Double coops (larger coop) are usually double the price.

The easiest way to learn is to attend a poultry show and ask alot of questions.

Hope that helps some.
~Patty~

bantamhill

Entering a Meet
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »
I would agree with Patty in that simply attending is a good way to learn. That being said, I would suggest entering a few birds the first time is also a great way to learn. The first show I went to offically I had a few birds that I entered and just bit the bullet so to speak  . . .

Michael

grisaboy

Entering a Meet
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:17:52 AM »
If you can get a copy of Poultry Press,  they have a section that advertises upcoming shows.  I think every state has one or two shows and you should be able to find one within a one or two hour drive.  Call and get the entry form and they will include show rules.  These usually include check  in times entry fees and health requirements.  
Most of the shows I have been to are mostly bantams.  Large Fowl show birds just are not being raised in large numbers these days.  I would encourage anyone that is raising large fowl to bring them to a show.  
Conditioning is the key to showing. ( And also my greatest weakness).  A well conditioned bird will often beat out birds of better quality.  The birds are judged roughly on a 100 point scale and condition is a wopping 10 points.  This is a huge percentage compared to how many points are allotted to each of the body parts and color sections.  So if you have birds that are of pretty good type and color,  take the time to get them in condition before the show and good things will happen.
I highly encourage everyone to show your birds.  Most entries are 2 or 3 dollars per bird.  So for 10 or 20 bucks you can enter a few birds and get someone elses opinion how you are doing.  In addition, you can spend a day or two looking at other birds and talking to people that actually like chickens.  Pretty good entertainment for chicken people.

Curtis

Entering a Meet
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 12:23:08 PM »

once you fin were the shows are and have contact information it is easy to enter..but before that you need to check with your state on what the health regulations, etc. ruls on showing, so that your flock is ready..but in the mean time I agree, visiting a show or two will help you see just what you will be up against.  Most folks are freindly and helpful.  Once you hook up with a few locals, they will be certain to help you along with the process.