Author Topic: Turned on the Incubator Today  (Read 16541 times)

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
Re: Turned on the Incubator Today
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
We should have a batch of chicks on Christmas day, and another batch on the 4th of Jan. Eggs that are fertile are the black, blue, buff, white, large fowl, blue, black, white bantams. We also have RI red bantams and SC white leghorn lf hatching.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
and another batch on the 4th of Jan. Eggs that are fertile are the black, blue, buff, white, large fowl, blue, black, white bantams.

Okay, so Little Jerry (seen in avitar) would be very interested in the black and blue bantams. I have chicks hatching on the 1st and 8th, so I could raise them and yours together. Now, how do I get my hands on some???
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

KalJen Farm

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
I have about...160? eggs in the incbator. i set black, blue, and splash ameraucanas. Also put in LF New hampshires, light brown leghorn, buckeys.....and ONE butercup bantam. should be a fun hatch, first gounp is hatching on the 22nd, then i have a group on the 30th, and the youngest on the 7th of jan. I will be selling nd siping out chicks march through end of may is anyones intereted. Working on geting my website up and running, should be workable soon  ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:11:58 AM by Jensen »

Schroeder

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Collecting eggs from my LF W/BW to go in incubator next week.

Storey's Guide says not to feed back egg shells from a hatch because they are full of bacteria which may be passed on to your flock. 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
Collecting eggs from my LF W/BW to go in incubator next week.

Storey's Guide says not to feed back egg shells from a hatch because they are full of bacteria which may be passed on to your flock.

Duane, I always figured the hard boiling took care of any bacteria.  Never had a problem and been doing for many years.   Maybe Storey's is referring to shells from eggs that hatched? 

Schroeder

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
Yes, Storey's book is referring to shells from eggs that had hatched, but a previous poster said she feeds shells from her hatches.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I save and dry all of the egg shells from the eggs I eat, then after they are dried out, I crush them up into real small pieces and feed it back to them in their feed

No, what I meant was, the eggs that I collect, wash, and put into the refrigerator to eat myself...those are the egg shells I save and feed to my chickens.

Sharon Yorks

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Beth C

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »
Duane, thanks for the heads up. I mix them in with the stuff that gets thoroughly nuked and I've never had any problems, but no point taking a chance.

KalJen Farm

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
moved my first batch of eggs into the hatcher last night. i keep hearing cheeping.  ;D hopefuly this will be a good group to kick of my hatching season. il post pics when they hatch out.

Beth C

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Yay! Btw, haven't forgotten pics, friends coming in tonight but I'll take some soon. :)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »
moved my first batch of eggs into the hatcher last night. i keep hearing cheeping.  ;D hopefuly this will be a good group to kick of my hatching season. il post pics when they hatch out.

How is your hatch going, Jensen?
Sharon Yorks

KalJen Farm

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
sorry i havent goten back sooner, hatched out about 12 Ameraucanas, 10 leghorns, 12 dorkings, and about 20 buckeyes and new hamps. all together i have roughtly 70...........im surounded by fuzzballs!! lol

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Did your buttercup bantam hatch? What's a buttercup, anyway? I mean, how do you come up with that and what does it look like? For some reason my mind thinks of a butterscotch color...or wait a minute. Is Buttercup a name of one of your birds. I'm confused!

I have a small batch in the hatcher now and am on day 19. I'm getting very antsy and am eager to have some fuzzballs of my own. I love having baby chicks in my office. I especially like it when they are a week or so old. Then, after they've gotten a chance to know me, I open the lid to their pen to see who runs away and who comes to greet me.
Sharon Yorks

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
Jensen, I have some fertile Buttercup bantam eggs in the incubator.   Fertility on them was not great by any means, but I got 5 that are developing emryos.   All the other breeds and varieties look like close to 100% fertility after 6 days of incubation.  Definitely 100% on the large fowl and bantam brown red Ameraucanas.

Update:   January 8th I set another 90 eggs.  These were saved from the 2nd to the 8th, plus had plenty for the refrigerator.  I only have 41 pullets and hens, so am pretty satisfied with production for this time of year.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:34:45 AM by Mike Gilbert »

dak

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:15 AM »
I finally broke down and set some eggs today.  Only one of my Black Ameraucana pullets is laying and it is quite a large egg for a pullet so in they go.  Also set a few Light Brahma bantams and LF Black Cochins. 

Our local fair is in August and it seems like everything is either too young or scruffy from the breeding pen for my son to show.  Hopefully we'll have something this year.  Easier to be ready for our November APA show.