Author Topic: Getting out of the wheaten varieties  (Read 3834 times)

Beth C

Getting out of the wheaten varieties
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »
After a lot of consideration, and months of waffling back and worth, I have reluctantly decided to get out of the wheaten varieties. Each of the varieties I have require a lot of work, and I'd rather do fewer things and try to do them better. Most of them went to Don Cash up in Charlotte, and I know they are in good hands with him. There are several established w/bw flocks in NC, so I've decided to concentrate more on my buffs & lavenders. Good luck, Don, and thanks again for that stunning buff cockerel! And thanks to John Marshall, too, for getting everyone where they needed to go!

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Getting out of the wheaten varieties
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
Beth,  it's easy to raise a good bird when you get eggs from good stock.  Thanks for the eggs and keep up the good work on the Buffs.  I hope you can raise a lot this year.

The Wheatens and BWs are nice birds too. Thanks for sharing these!  I would like to have some others in the area keep some of these birds.  There are a few of these birds that I have to share at this time.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

HappyMtn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »
How far into NC are you, Don?
I am looking for some wheatens to rebuild my small flock. I lost a bunch of females to a theft last spring, and the ones I have left are "retired". I have am splitting a chick order from Paul Smith with somebody in the spring,  but would really like some older birds. I think I can get one more season out of my BW roo, but the girls haven't laid in a year... 

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »
We are in the Charlotte area, almost SC, about 2 hours SE of Asheville.  I've not shipped before.  One of the males will fill a box anyway.  Would be great for someone to look before they buy.  But I do have a couple of nice Blue Wheaten males and in pullets, BW and Splash Wheaten.  Send me an email if interested.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Tailfeathers

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
Beth, I can certainly understand the desire to reduce the flock and effort needed to successful breed too many varieties at once, not to mention the facilities needed, but I sure hate to see you do away with the WBS variety.  I'd like to see more folks get into them!

Having said that, I know Don must be thrilled and will pick up well where you left off!  Best wishes with them, Don!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

God Bless,

Royce

Beth C

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
Royce, it was a tough decision for sure. They were the ones I've been raising the longest. But ultimately, it came down to money, and they were also the ones costing me the most. Because their color changes so much as they mature, I had to feed so many birds for so long before I could tell what I had, so I had to either hatch fewer numbers and settle for what I got or turn them over to someone who could do them justice. Don's been doing this much longer than I have, and I'm really excited to see where to takes them!

John Marshall also has wheatens, and took one of my bw males, and Robert Burns has wbs as well, including a male from one of John B.'s last hatches, so there are several established flocks around the state.

Good to see you around, btw - hope life is getting back to normal. Merry Christmas!