Author Topic: Custom Incubators  (Read 15609 times)

John

Custom Incubators
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
Quote from: Don
I've often quipped that we keep chickens so we can build things.  John, i think you fall in that vein too.  Custom incubators, sounds interesting.  Where are the first pics?
I have a good start on the 2 setter incubators with photos below.  I have most of what I need to build 2 hatcher incubators, but haven't started on them yet.  They'll be much easier to build.
The setters have 6 trays that hold 132 LF eggs each for a capacity of 792 eggs per setter.  I'm using 350 watt strip heaters along with proportional heating thermostats.  The cabinets are made from 1/2" plastic board.  I started putting the doors on yesterday, but still have wiring to do along with a few other things to finish up these units.
Most of the fasteners are stainless steel and the racks are aluminum (fabricated at a local welding shop).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:29:36 PM by John »

Mike Gilbert

Re: Custom Incubators
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
John, do you have an estimate on what these will cost to build?   Do they have certain features you can't find in a manufacturer's unit?

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Impressive!
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Beth C

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
Very nice! Are you just building these for your own use or are you planning on marketing them?

John

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
do you have an estimate on what these will cost to build?

No, but I'm saving the bills so I'll have a good idea when I'm finished.  I'll have more money invested in the setters, due to the turning racks and motor unit.  I don't feel that I'm skimping on any part of these incubators and at the same time I'm trying not to go overboard with costs.  If I decide to take orders I'll have a good idea of the price I'd have to charge.  The problem is you can probably buy an imported incubator cheaper than I could custom build them. 
Do they have certain features you can't find in a manufacturer's unit?
I guess I'm building these mainly because I want to.  They make a good project to work on on a cold day.  With over 30 years of incubating experience, I feel like I'm making them the way I want them for my operation.  They may be no better than GQF cabinet incubators.  I've used the same fans, latches and other parts that GQF uses in these, but these are totally my design.  As I've mentioned before, even though GQF now has acrylic windows in their doors I've been modifying their units for many years to include that design.   

John

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
I finished up the setters today and got them running.  I hinged the doors differently than the way they are shown in an earlier post.  It is really neat with the digital temp display and accurate.  Sometimes on the GQF units I would forget to switch the turning motor back on.  The red pilot light was on the side of the incubator and towards the back...out of site.  On the new setters I mounted a control box on top with the pilot light on top of it, the toggle switch on the RH side and the digital thermostat in the front so I don't have to look around the side to see the temp. 
Sorry, but the photos are a bit grainy.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
Nice job on the incubators John!   The thermostat looks like its a great choice.  How much "tilt" did you provide on the trays?  This seems to vary in the GQFs depending on the model and number of trays.  Just wonder what is optimum for best hatch? 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

John

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »
How much "tilt" did you provide on the trays?  This seems to vary in the GQFs depending on the model and number of trays.
GQF says in their model 1500 "Removing the hatching tray allowed us to space the trays further apart and have them turn to a steeper angle."  Since they use the same cabinet for the 1500 as the 1502, by eliminating the hatch tray they have room to fill and those are the two ways to do it.  If the tilt or rotating angle is enough for good hatches I can't see any reason for the "steeper angle" other than to fill space.  I would be interested in any data that states an optimum angle.   
I bought the standard GQF turning motors with timers and they include an arm mounted to the motor shaft the tilts the trays up 2 1/2" and down 2 1/2", so mine are tilting the same as the 1502 incubators.  I do have my trays closer together than they to, since I don't plan on incubating eggs larger than chicken eggs.  More space may be needed for really big eggs, like turkey eggs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:12:31 PM by John »

John

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I finished the new hatchers today!  Each has 3 large hatch baskets.  I put 2 fans in each, like the setters.  Also, I put doors on the backs of the hatchers for easy cleaning.  Here are a few photos...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:26:59 PM by John »

Tailfeathers

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
John, you are far more industrious than I can ever imagine being.  And you also have WAY too much time on your hands! :P  Forget the incubators and build me something that will create the time I need to get the things done that I never do!    ;D

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
They look good John.   Do you have covers for the hatching trays?   I can't imagine hatching without the covers as the chicks would be jumping out and all over the place.  If not, how deep are the sides of the trays?

John

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Do you have covers for the hatching trays?
No.  The baskets/trays are 4" deep and I don't think a day old chicken chick can get out.  Also, there is only a 1/2" gap between the tops of the 2 bottom baskets and the bottoms of the 2 top baskets so except for the top basket the chicks wouldn't be able to squeeze out between them...if that makes any sense. 

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
SWEET!! Where did you get the trays? I would like to find some like that for my GQF to replace the wooden ones I built. They are 4" deep but you know how hard the wood can be to clean...
Max Strawn

John

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Where did you get the trays?
http://www.hatcheryequipment.com/hatcher_c.html

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
Thanks! BTW your craftsmanship is amazing! I am a machinist/tool & die maker/cnc mill programmer/supervisor by trade so I know quality work when I see it. And it's made in the USA!!
Max Strawn