The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Chick color black/blue

(1/4) > >>

Sharon Yorks:
Is there a "for sure" way of telling what color the black and blue chicks are going to grow up to be? Some of my chicks have me confused. Some of the ones I think are black grow up to be blue and ones I think are blue turn out to be black. Examples below...the first picture is of a chick that ended up being a blue and the second chick picture turned out to be a black chick.

Christie Rhae:
Oh I miss chicks...  Cant wait to start hatching again this year!
I have my andalusians and black Ams all ready to go...just gotta get my timing right so I am actually HOME for the hatches.  lol

greeneggsandham:
Well, I have had the experience of a black chick turning into a very dark blue.  It was not until weeks later that I noticed the lacing showing up and realized I had a dark blue pullet.  I see the black chick is without the cream color they usually have although I don't believe this means a blue chick all the time.  I believe I read that extra melanizers are responsible for the dark color.   My pullet did make a very nice blue cockeral however.   :) 

I have not seen a blue looking chick turn black however.  You have any recent pics of them?

Mike Gilbert:
Sharon, that second chick (bottom one) does not look blue on my monitor.  Black chicks often have a lot of cream to yellowish fuzz.   I too have had chicks with black chick down develop dark blue feathers, but never the reverse.

Sharon Yorks:
I will take some recent pictures of the chicks I have now that I'm confused about and post them this evening. In the meantime, here is another example. Last January I hatched out 6 splash a 5 blues. I knew they were blue because they were out of a black hen and a splash male. But look at the color variation. The light blue baby chick grew up to be Reba and one of the dark is Goliath. I'm actually watching more chicks hatching right now and it's easy to spot the light blues, but my dark blues look black. I'll post more pictures tonight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version