Author Topic: Chick color black/blue  (Read 10729 times)

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Chick color black/blue
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
If I recall correctly, Paul Smith told me that the darker chicks generally end up with better lacing.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Beth C

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
the way he raises up and looks around

I got shredded by a moderator once on BYC for saying this (she accused me of perpetuating a wive's tale) but I've had some chicks that just screamed male right from the start - long thick legs, upright stance, bold attitude. Every one I kept to maturity was, in fact, male. Not saying this is an accurate "method" of sexing, since the obvious ones were rare, but I agree there are a handful that have a "tell." I hatched one last week that I swear is male. I wouldn't sell it as a male at this stage, but I'm definitely making a note on it's band number, just to satisfy my own curiosity, to see if I'm right.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
the way he raises up and looks around

I got shredded by a moderator once on BYC for saying this (she accused me of perpetuating a wive's tale) but I've had some chicks that just screamed male right from the start - long thick legs, upright stance, bold attitude. Every one I kept to maturity was, in fact, male. Not saying this is an accurate "method" of sexing, since the obvious ones were rare, but I agree there are a handful that have a "tell." I hatched one last week that I swear is male. I wouldn't sell it as a male at this stage, but I'm definitely making a note on it's band number, just to satisfy my own curiosity, to see if I'm right.

Well, I don't think I have ever posted there, but if I do, thanks for the warning.
I agree, some just scream male, but like you, I would not sell them as such.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...