Author Topic: National Meet  (Read 3414 times)

Mike Gilbert

National Meet
« on: September 14, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »

I was just wondering how many were planning to show wheaten, blue wheaten, or splash wheaten bantams?
I believe I will have one wheaten pullet to bring.   The reason I ask is that last year Bob Walchak was the only one with these varieties in bantams, and Bob won't be sending any this year.

Mike Gilbert

Re: National Meet
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »
Well, expect to head west with John Blehm starting early Thursday morning, and hope to pull into Great Falls sometime Friday p.m.    From the forecast, we will probably be driving into some rain, as that is the prediction for here Thursday and Friday.   We are bringing some show and sale birds for Bob Walchak, who is taking a temporary leave of absence from keeping and showing for the next few years.    My brown red bantams are pretty much all in heavy molt, so I'm only bringing one, a cock who still has a ways to go with his new feathers.  Also showing one bantam wheaten pullet and a pair of LF Brown Reds, a cockerel and a pullet.
Am also taking a pair of Partridge Chantecler bantams to give Paul Wieser a little competition for his whites, since he is driving over to the show from Washington state.  Little is an accurate word to use I think, as Paul has good ones.  It will be my first time to meet Paul in person; he is a CFI Director.
Wishing all of you who are attending safe travels and encouraging all who attend to make this a really fun national meet.   I did not sign up for the host club banquet, as I did not know what the rest of you had planned.   I'm sure we can figure something out once we arrive.    Drive safely and God bless.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:55:05 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Beth C

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Have a safe & fun trip! Wish I could be there, maybe next year.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
Best wishes and many blessings to you all. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Take lots of pictures and keep us updated! Drive safe and watch out for...I was going to say deer, but you all are headed to Montana so watch out for bears! Them there critters make a bigger dent!!!
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

John

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
My son, David, was driving earlier today and came close to hitting a prone horn (?) that wanted to cross the road ahead of us. 
Many of the ABC members are meeting at Denny's at 7:30 for a get-together.  Most of us cooped in and we've met other club members for the first time.  The weather is nice, with sunshine, and I heard tomorrow it should be in the 60s.

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
came close to hitting a prone horn (?) that wanted to cross the road ahead of us. 

Prong Horn Antelope. Yep, gotta watch out for them...they can turn on a dime and be in front of you before you know it. Wishing all of you the best of luck and a safe trip!
Max Strawn

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
John, David, and I got home to my place about 4 a.m. Monday morning.   It was a good, safe trip.  The only live deer we saw on the way back were two in the middle of town while we were doing 25 mph.   We did see more pronghorns in western North Dakota, but they were off the road.   Anyway, here is a very preliminary report.   Jerry DeSmidt took champion Ameraucana with a  LF black hen, and Jerry also had top bantam Am with a white pullet.  New member Walter Malcolm took RB LF with a black cockerel, and Bob Walchak bowed out in a blaze of glory with Reserve bantam on a Brown Red cockerel.
I believe all ABC members in attendance had an enjoyable time.  There will be more later.