Author Topic: Fall Fowl Fest whew who  (Read 3685 times)

Russ

Fall Fowl Fest whew who
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
Well just got all unpacked and settled back in at home. Man what a wonderful time my family and I had at fowl fest. I got to meet some members and "Ameraucana Guru's" like Jerry Segler and Jeannie (not sure if I just spelled that right) not to mention Duane our district director. It was also nice to see and pick the brains of John and Mike again. I will have to say for my first show that I entered birds into I am definitely hooked. It might have to do with having my Bantam Black Cockerel place BV, BB, and reserve champion AOCCL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Which I truly have to give credit to Mike Gilbert for all the work he put into his Blue Bantams that I was fortunate enough to purchase from him last fall. To wrap it up into two words whew who, better look out in Lucasville at next years nationals  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:34:09 AM by Russ »

Schroeder

Re: Fall Fowl Fest whew who
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
I agree it was an awesome show, in a very pretty small town (Birch Run, MI).  Like you say Russ, I am elated to have the chance to talk with the founders of our chosen breed like Mike, John and Jerry.  They talk genetics over my head most of the time, but I absorb as much of it as possible.  It was great meeting you too.

Congratulations on the fine showing of your Black Bantam cockerel.  Also congratulations to John Blehm for taking best of breed in the large fowl with his black pullet.  I will include full meet results and photos from the show in our next newsletter.
Duane

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
. . . have to give credit to Mike Gilbert for all the work he put into his Blue Bantams that I was fortunate enough to purchase from him last fall. To wrap it up into two words whew who, better look out in Lucasville at next years nationals  ;)

Russ, you put the mating together and raised and conditioned your birds, so you get the credit.   As I told you, the blue cockerel will be the better bird once he gets his tail sickles in - I really liked him better.  And that splash pullet you showed was no slouch either.  Nice work!

John

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
The weather was great and it was a great weekend with many friends!
There were 1,158 birds entered in the show with 136 exhibitors, 55 of those being junior exhibitors.

Fall Fowl Fest, Birch Run, Michigan
NC District Meet, October 12th – 13th, 2013, reported by John W Blehm

21 bantams by 5 exhibitors, judged by Jeff Halbach
Reserve AOCCL, BB & BV black K by Russ Blair, out of 2
RV black C by Gina L Neta
BV blue P by Gina, out of 3
RV blue K by Russ
RB & BV buff C by John W Blehm, out of 2
RV buff P by John
BV silver C by Jerry Segler, out of 2
RV silver P by John
BV wheaten H by Jeanne Trent, out of 7
RV wheaten H by Jeanne
BV white P by Jerry
Best AOV & BV lavender K by John, out of 3
Reserve AOV & RV lavender P by John
BV splash P by Russ

17 large fowl by 4 exhibitors, judged by Don Karasek
BB & BV black P by John W Blehm, out of 6
RB & RV black P by John
BV blue wheaten K by Duane Schroeder, out of 3
RV blue wheaten P by Linda Reilly
BV buff P by John, out of 2
RV buff P by John
BV silver P by John
BV wheaten by Duane
Best AOV & BV lavender P by John, out of 2
RV lavender by John
Reserve AOV & BV lavender cuckoo by Jerry Segler
BV cuckoo by Jerry

All entries were in the open show with no juniors showing Ameraucana this year.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:35:09 PM by John »

Debbie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
Looks like it was a great show with great company! This one is on my desperately want to attend list. Maybe the boys will be up for the car ride next year.  I would have loved to have seen Jerrys lav cuckoo in person. Congrats to everyone!

Russ

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
Well Debbie after I deliver the two trios today that you purchased, I will have to say you will have some LF and Bantam Blues that will give anybody competition at any show =). So start making plans on attending it next year. Oh and since you will have birds conditioned you might as well attend Nationals in Lucasville.

Russ

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Well I delivered the birds to Debbie, and I gave her the choice between both cockerels I took to Fowl Fest. Man I hated to do it but the Blue cockerel, pullet and splash pullet now reside in PA. Part of me wanted to steer her towards the Black cockerel but like you Mike I truly believe the Blue Cockerel will be the better bird when he finishes out. No matter what a man is only as good as his word and Honesty is always the best policy, at least thats how I was raised  ;)

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
They are such wonderful birds! I really appreciate you letting them go, and giving us such a good start. Denny had a much easier time tonight holding the bantams when we got home.  His eye must be better then mine since he said he wanted the blue one, lol. I must say again I have never seen lacing on a splash like that splash pullet. Gorgeous. You should be so proud!  Thanks again, I can see us getting hooked on these bantams very easily.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
Thanks for helping me out to Debbie and Russ! I can` t wait for Thursday to come!