Author Topic: Annual Hatch for 2013?  (Read 7836 times)

vanalpaca

Annual Hatch for 2013?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
So where is everyone at for hatching?

Last year I found that all my early spring hatching attempts didn't, probably due to room humidity OR nutrition which has been dealt with. The late spring/early summer timeframe hatches went off beautifully.

But, the eggs are still being found FROZEN, so I'm still a ways out from setting up my incubator...

Can we please have some photos here of your current hatches and maybe a clue as to future order availability?

Thanks

Beth C

Re: Annual Hatch for 2013?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
By this time last year I'd hatched 75. This year I am off and running with ONE chick! Yep, one. Out of 3 dozen eggs, 32 were clear, one had a blood ring, one had a crossed beak and didn't make it out of the shell, and one failed to thrive and I lost it at a week. Meanwhile the hens suddenly stopped laying. Other than a relatively mild cold spell, I don't know what happened. All are under 2 years old, diet is the same as last year, same amount of light as last year, I had 12 laying and over the course of 2 days all but 2 stopped. After they quit I started just leaving the lights on 24/7, but it's been several weeks and only one has started laying again. 2 of the 3 I'm getting eggs from are layers, not breeders, so I have 9 eggs in the incubator and 2 waiting for the next run. Very frustrating, since I normally don't hatch past February, but I guess I won't have a choice this year. :-\

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Beth, have you wormed the breeder flock and checked them for external parasites lately?   One or two of my bantams shut down laying, and I found they were infested with mites.  Treated them, and they are looking better already, should start laying again soon.

Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
I have a LF BW cockerel over 3 LF W hens.  Only 4 of the first 18 eggs were fertile, and 3 of the 4 hatched.  They now are about 3 weeks old.  I realized the male hadn't been with the girls long enough, and put them together 24/7.  Second attempt 12 of 18 were fertile and I was thrilled with a 12 out of 12 hatch.  They are 3 days old.  I have 40 more eggs set for the incubator this weekend, and will try my best to stop myself thereafter (at least for awhile.) :o

One of the 12 had zipped its shell, but couldn't bust out.  I'd never had luck with "helped" chicks so I didn't intervene.  After 2 days in this state, and all others hatched, I decided to discard the egg that I thought was dead.  When I opened it, the chick started chirping loudly.  He was pretty dry by then, so I moved him to the brooder after dunking his beak in the waterer several times.  He had a club foot, for which I made a masking tape cast.  At 3 days he looked fine, but died at day 5.  I'll take 11/12 any day.
Duane
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:05:24 AM by Schroeder »

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
I currently have 50 chicks hatched, some have been sold, and some I am keeping...for now. More are due to hatch on Feb. 15th, 22nd, and March 3rd, but those have all been spoken for. My first available hatch dates to ship chicks is April 22 & May 6th. You can purchase chicks in later March or early April if picking them up. Below is a picture from one of my January hatches. I'm really pleased with the chicks I've been hatching.

I only raise black, blue, and splash LF.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:38:18 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

vanalpaca

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »
Sharon, I am NW of you on the way to Bowling Green. Looks like you are one of the closest ones to me. We should keep each other in mind if going to shows, etc!

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »
Sharon, I am NW of you on the way to Bowling Green. Looks like you are one of the closest ones to me. We should keep each other in mind if going to shows, etc!

Okay, that would be great. I hope to meet you sometime this year. Do you have any shows in mind that you are planning to attend? The Canfield, OH show in June should be a really nice turnout.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Beth C

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
Mike: Haven't seen any external parasites but I'll spray them just in case and hit them with some wormer. And  if it ever stops raining I'm going to go out there and check my lights over. They're jury rigged to say the least and I need to come up with something better. We have had so much rain that, with a horse & 7 goats drinking from it, my stock tank has remained full for the last 6 weeks with no additional water added to it. Maybe I need to start raising fish...

vanalpaca

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Sharon, not been to any shows yet, don't know how to do that or get chickens ready to show, etc. I was looking to see that there are 3 shows listed in Ohio this year. The 2 in March and 1 in June. I can't do March, too much going on right now. We'll see about June.

Beth C

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
I collected a few eggs before my split x split pen quit laying, but didn't hold out much hope since all of the ones I set for the first hatch were clear. This time 3 were fertile. All 3 hatched. All 3 are lavender! What are the odds of that? ;D

dixieland

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
We have hatched out approximately 250 Ameraucanas and 100 Silkies...200 of the Ameraucanas were r the local 4-H kids....I am ha setting any Ameraucana egg that falls into the proper color catergory. I have several requests for BBS, Buff and Lavender...I am  currently working on impovements in the Silvers, Chocolate project & Red project and I only have a pair of Brown Reds, so I am not planning to sell any of them...

On a slightly different note, I am trying to find some LF white hatching eggs or chicks for a co- worker who is interested in raising true Ameraucanas.....

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Jes, are you getting chicks from the pair of brown reds?

dixieland

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »
No chicks yet...But the first batch of their eggs will go into lockdown on the 26th. As soon as we have some babies, I will be sending you lots of pictures in hopes that you can help me critique... 8)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
 Tm Clark (Ohio or Indiana) has four trios of LF Brown Reds available, including the original trio he got from me.  He also has  several trios of a Buff Columbian project that started with a cross of the Brown Reds with Buff Sussex.  He says they are too large to ship, but he will drive up to an hour to meet someone who wants to purchase them.   If anyone is interested, send me an email for details.   Chantecler7@gmail.com .

KalJen Farm

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »
I have hatched out about....100 ameraucanas. First batch hatched out on 22 of dec. I have had roughly 5 batches so far of about 15 to 20 ameraucanas each set. Sadly my largest group of 40 on the 22 had a bit of a crowding issue/ heat. To put it lightly i sort of "cooked" most of them. Still can't forgive myself for that, lol. Anyway so at the moment i have about 100 chicks. Two more sets of 20 are n the incubator and i am still gathering. Hopefully my hens will pick back up and i can set larger groups. If i can get the post office to give me some shipping info and when to drop them of and how much it will cost, etc i am planing to ship out as soon as possible. Can't seam to hatch out a big enough batch though to make a order of 25. So at  this point i am a bit stuck as far as shipping day olds out. Hopefully il get it sorted out before the middle of march.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:37:53 AM by Jensen »