Author Topic: Annual Hatch for 2013?  (Read 7944 times)

vanalpaca

Re: Annual Hatch for 2013?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
So 'jenson' on the heat/crowding issue....

how big was the brooder and what was the temp set at. I'm assuming it was the same setting as for the 20 chicks, but with the 40 the system overheated...

I'm just trying to make sure my little brooder is ok for them for another day or so until they get good and strong from shipping and I can put them in the 50 gal tub/with the brooder light for heat (its only a 100 watt bulb set at about 12 inches or so high...)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Bonnie - (Not trying to but in here...but) just watch the chicks for a little while after you put the light on them. I would put it over one end of the tub. If they snuggle together under the light, you'll know they are trying to stay warm. If they crowd the far end of the tub, then you'll know they are too warm and are trying to get away from the heat. If they are laying a little scattered about somewhere in the middle, then they are probably comfortable and should be fine. And it may be best not to put their food or water directly under the light either. Maybe put the water fairly close by so the heat can keep the water a little warm (especially the first few days), but you don't want their water getting hot. Also make sure to check them for paste butt. How many chicks do you have?
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
Over 200 hatched so far, but it was below zero here again this morning.   Between culls and a few death losses, I'm feeding 160-something chicks.    Had to break ice out of the brooder waterers this morning - too far away from the heat sources I guess.  No losses last night.  I have lost a couple of Naked Neck chicks, as I don't think all that bare skin can take the colder temps as well.   I'm shutting down a few of the breeding pens as I need the room for young birds that are feathered out.  It will feel good to get done early this year, but I'm sure there will be eggs hatched under a few broodies later in the season - from special pair matings.