Author Topic: What's for Sale?  (Read 12225 times)

Russ

Re: What's for Sale?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

I've been going $3500 in the RED every year for the last couple, I'm looking for ways to make this hobby at least pay for itself if I can.

God Bless,

If you figure out how to do that please let me know  ;) Seriously

Tailfeathers

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »
I actually broke even a couple of years.  I didn't have as many birds.  Only had two breeds instead of four.  Wasn't hatching near as many chicks.  Had a buyer for excess roosters.  And sold a lot more hatching eggs.  Plus feed was $2-4 cheaper a bag.  Plus I didn't have any "project birds".

Then I decided if I wanted to make bigger and better improvements faster, I had to hatch out more and cull more.  Lost my buyer for roosters and though I was only getting $7-10 for a rooster, now you can't find one 'cause everybody is giving them away.  Since the separation and divorce, I just don't have the time to package up eggs and run to the PO.  Gotta devote that to the job especially since the down economy has greatly reduced income.  And the project birds cause you to wind up feeding a lot of trash that nobody wants.

My project - Rosecomb Barnevelders - is pretty much where I want them so I'm hoping there'll be an interest in them because as far as I know, nobody else has any.  Then I'm going back to look over those years and see what else I might be able to do sell more because I've made about as many cuts as I know how.

God Bless,

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
Listen I am still getting several inquiries.  I have nothing for sale at this time because I have to re-establish my flock from two years of preditors killing some fantastic stock. 

Anyone on the East coast please see the members list for breeding potential.  I am very sorry  i can not help anyone at this time.    Harry
Harry Shaffer

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
  Large Fowl day old Ameraucana chicks for sale.

We have turned away chick orders for several weeks to make sure we would be able to fill all that we had already accepted.  We are caught-up on black, blue, splash and lavender and can accept some of each for our last hatch.  We are still fully booked up on all wheaten varieties, and cannot accept anymore until this fall for our 2014 hatches.  Our last hatch of 2013 is June 10.  There are 228 black, blue, splash and 70 lavender eggs incubating now along with 141 wheaten and 54 Rhode Island Red.

There is a 10 chick minimum so they will stay warm enough during shipping.  They are straight run only as we are unable to sex them at a day old.

They may be sent by priority mail through shipping zone #4 from us (76240 zip code).  Shipping zone #5 and up must go by express mail, as we guarantee live chicks upon arrival or a refund for any DOA.

Prices for Large Fowl potential show quality (backed by proof-5 national champions since 2000 & APA Master Breeder in LF Black Ameraucanas).

10 for $89, 15 for $127, 20 for $165, 25 for $203 or 50 for $392 for priority mailed.

Express mailed chicks are $110 for 10, $148 for 15, $190 for 20, $228 for 25 or $425 for 50.  The price differences are due to PO charges.  They are being offered on a first come first serve basis.

Paul & Angela Smith
Paul Smith

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
I'm still really new at this, but I like to start my flock with hatching eggs.  That seems the best way to keep my bio-security in place and maintain a healthy flock.  I've learned from experience how devastating some diseases can be.   There are no cures for a lot of viruses.  You either lose your entire flock, or risk passing it along to someone else.  No matter how careful we are, chickens can catch illnesses.  It seems I cut myself off from a lot of options because I'm so afraid of getting something like MS/MG or other chicken ailments which are uncurable.  Maybe people who've done this a lot longer than me have some advice?
When I have sold culls, I sell them as Easter Eggers for egg laying purposes.  I tell them exactly what they're getting.
Thanks for listening - Linda 

Kitsch6

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
    • Www.frozenacrefarm.com
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »
We have some nice LF buffs available now, and are going through our blues and blacks.  Some are show potential, others "backyard layers".  More available in the fall after we have grown out and culled...

Christine
Christine Kitsch
Frozen Acre Farm

heatherscooby77

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Well, I can't keep enough birds for people to buy.  I can't even keep enough roosters to keep up with the demand.  I wintered 10 cockerels/cocks purchased 2, and I only have 2 left.  A blue, and a wheaten.

Hens that don't make the cut, go to layer homes.  If they do other things with them, I can not help that.  I am not going to butcher a hen that I am culling, she is still a chicken.  Not everyone shows, she can still lay an egg.

IDK about budget, I spend a boat load.  I love it though.  I have gotten my flock b/b/s where I want them.  I will be closing them.  The w/b/s are probably closed too.  I have other breeds also, and they are there to help with the lacing project.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
Well, I can't keep enough birds for people to buy.  I can't even keep enough roosters to keep up with the demand. 

With that kind of demand, are you sure you are charging enough?  Just sayin'.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 12:05:25 AM »
Most of them are going for $50.  Those are the nicest of them.  They have to practically jump through hoops to stay that long.  They are usually over 6 months, and have to pass my evaluation, and my other Ameraucana friends strict judging.  I only sell cockerels or cocks I would use myself.

The ones that are not proven yet (fertility) or was not strictly evaluated by me and my other Ameraucana friends go for $25-$35.

I do give discounts to 4-Hers.

Its not like I sell them for cheap.  Its not like I am selling crap either.  I cull hard and it starts very early around here.  Especially for roosters.  Hens usually get to grow out, and I need to evaluate them before and after laying.  I also want to see them after a molt, and how light there eggs get.

I do sell my cull hens for layers.  If someone buys a pair, they usually get a cockerel that has not made the "cut" for free(making it a trio).  IDK, do you think that is to cheap?  My prices aren't to low are they?  My first "real" Ameraucana rooster cost me $30.00, 4 years ago.  After a while, I realized he wasn't all that!  I have people that want to use them to make OE.  They also get culls, unless they wanna pay the $$$.

I also want to add that I am NOT saying this in a bragging or ignorant way.  I feel very lucky to have had a good year so far!  I can only hope that it continues to be as wonderful.  I am trying to pay for feed!!!  Not make anything more then that!  This is my hobby not a business.  I am a not for profit!!!  LOL  I am like everybody else busting my butt to make birds as close as I can to the SOP.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:26:49 AM by heatherscooby77 »

John

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
I am trying to pay for feed!!!  Not make anything more then that!  This is my hobby not a business.  I am a not for profit!!! 

I believe that is the goal of most of us.  When I break even on my hobby I'm way ahead of those that golf, bowl, hunt, fish, etc.  By selling birds I'm just trying to support my habit. ;)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
Most of them are going for $50.  Those are the nicest of them.  They have to practically jump through hoops to stay that long.  They are usually over 6 months, and have to pass my evaluation, and my other Ameraucana friends strict judging.  I only sell cockerels or cocks I would use myself.   The ones that are not proven yet (fertility) or was not strictly evaluated by me and my other Ameraucana friends go for $25-$35.

You must be in a great area for demand.  It sounds like you are doing everything A-OK.  Congrats!

heatherscooby77

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
I must say they are in demand!  People want colored eggs for there egg basket, and they are figuring out that an EE will probably get you a drab green egg.  They want the bluest they can find!  I say that is another thing we are all striving for!

howell

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »
I have 5 day old chicks for sale, blue, black and some splash. Will have more hatching this weekend. Lynne