Author Topic: Anyone near Tulsa?  (Read 4136 times)

Anyone near Tulsa?
« on: February 22, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
Not sure of the whereabouts of everyone, but I\'m looking to acquire several dozen LF eggs to hatch this spring.

I grew up raising chickens in my youth and showing them at the county fairs.  Have several ribbons including a champion from a RIR raised one year.  Moved into the city and into corporate life in my adult years, but a couple of years ago, I moved back out into the country and started messing with feed store chickens and some India Blue and White peacocks.  

Last year, my wife happened onto a roadside produce stand and a lady was selling \"green and blue eggs\", of which she brought me home 2 dozen.  I incubated those as well as eggs from the \"feed store\" hens.  From the roadside eggs, out popped quite a few beautiful solid black pullets, 1 \"dirty\" white pullet, and two white cockerals with a touch of \"brass\" on the back.

I\'m looking to improve on the blacks and whites as well as expand into some of the other LF varieties.  Anyone in OK or reasonably close?

Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:01:56 PM »
Oh gosh, lots of us get around Tulsa!
  I\'ll be in Pryor in two weeks, but I don\'t have any eggs available yet.  Besides.....some of them are olive green.....

Anyway, Paul\'s in Gainesville, TX, Bantamhill (Michael) and I are in Misery, ooops meant Missouri....Anyhow, he usually has eggs to go....give him a holler.

Welcome aboard!!

Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:02 PM »
Hi Angela, thanks for the reply and the welcome.  What is in Pryor in two weeks?  I saw you refer to that city in another post as well.

My girls are already laying fairly heavily (I get about 35 eggs a day now) but they are not all ameraucanas.  I have approximately 30 black sex-links (stumbled on it last year by putting a brown leghorn over a few barred rock hens...couldn\'t figure out why all the barred chicks were males and pullets were black for the longest time).  I\'ve been in the city too long.

Anyways, I get about 2 dozen green and blue eggs a week, of which I just hatched 12 (5 black, 5 white, 1 blue, and 1 brown/black striped).  I was testing out my modifications to my incubator and hatcher (new fans and auto humidity kits).

Not sure what genetics are in the parents, but a very interesting combination in the hatch nonetheless.

Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 06:26:18 PM »
It\'s just a little show....This is the third one.  About 500 birds.  Just a nice little day trip for me.  If you\'re interested, I\'ll hook you up.

Again, welcome, and have fun!!

Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:52:55 PM »
Angela, I sent you a PM.  Hook me up!   :p

John

Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:09:26 PM »
Bantamhill (Michael)

BantamHill.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Anyone near Tulsa?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »
Hi DevilsThoughts,
I\'ve tried e-mailing you and can\'t seem to get it to go through so I sent you a personal message
Paul
Paul Smith