Author Topic: Hackle color - Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel  (Read 3010 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Hackle color - Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
At about what age does the correct reddish/gold color in the hackles show up on a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana or a Wheaten Ameraucana Cockerel?  I'm trying to pick out a cockerel to keep from the 3 months old or younger cockerels .  All of them seem to have some black in their hackles.  Do these feathers also change color with age like the beards do?  Or should they have lots of the red/gold color in them at this age?  I don't know what are the most important things I should be looking for in a young cockerel?  Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you - Linda Ferguson

Mike Gilbert

Re: Hackle color - Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
Their hackles tend to get better color as they age.  I would not be culling anything at three months of age in these two varieties for any reason unless they had physical deformities or were unthrifty, and especially not for coloring.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:27:15 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Tailfeathers

Re: Hackle color - Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:36:03 AM »
The WBS is my variety.  Mike is correct.  Initially the young cockerels will show a lot more black in their hackles than they will end up with.  I have never had any other varieties but to me the WBS seem to take a long time to mature.  At least they do as compared to my other 3 breeds.

God Bless,