Author Topic: Eye swelling?  (Read 10671 times)

John

Re: Eye swelling?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
put bleach in the water
Bleach is great for some cleaning proposes, but I would consider using Oxine in this situation.
Oxine
Aids in the control of Pathogens, Salmonella, E-Coli, Avian Influenza, PMV, other viruses and Asperqillus. It is also an aid in the control of upper respiratory and fungal infections. It may be sprayed on eggs, in incubators, on birds, misted in the loft, added to the drinking water or used as a disinfectant. 7 - 15 drops to a gallon of drinking water. 6.5 oz. per gallon as a disinfectant or mist. Helps control infections, PMV and other viruses.

Russ

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
Update on the 3 chicks I had with swollen eyes. Unfortunately I ended up culling all 3 of them after a day or two of them showing improvement, only to see them start to swell shut again. Like Harry said/reminded me it is better (in my case) to have 45 vigorous/healthy chicks than to let 3 possibly cost me my whole flock. Granted i have 3 separate pens I am growing chicks out, all spaced a good deal apart. The reality is I could not justify putting the rest of the chicks (around 375 between the various varieties) in jeopardy over 3 chicks with issues. Thanks for all the information and reaffirming what I needed to do. Sometimes you need to hear it from other people even though deep down you know the answer, man this is a great club and forum.  Oh yeah great info on the adding bleach or Oxine in the water Royce and John.

Beth C

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
when you mentioned wet conditions I couldn't help but think of coccidiosis.

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm dealing with. I use a medicated feed, but when it gets this hot it doesn't seem to be enough, so I add Corid to their water every couple of days. But the last 2 weeks have been extreme - while "official" rain totals from this system are much lower, my vet recorded 17 inches at her clinic, and that was Monday, the rain didn't stop until yesterday. Sounds about right to me. I don't have a rain gauge but I forgot a 5 gallon bucket in the pen and it was full by the next night. And it hasn't been continuous rain, blazing hot sun through the day with torrential downpours at night, so it's like a sauna. Or a giant incubator, with my pens as the petri dishes...  :o

John: I keep hearing about Oxine, I need to get some. Don't know if it will help in this case, just trying to cover all the bases, in case I have something more than coccidiosis going on.

Did I mention I loath summer...

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Jean

Beth C

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
Thanks, Jean!

John

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
If you are shopping around...Cutler's Supply has it and the link in my reply #15 is to Foy's.  I like Victor and buy some stuff from him, but these are both cheaper.  Remember to figure shipping. :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:32:46 PM by John »