Author Topic: Bantam Lavender leg color  (Read 3200 times)

Zach_Rose

Bantam Lavender leg color
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
I received two groups of chick this spring from John. I've noticed the lavenders have different leg colors. I took one oddity out and found that it had greenish legs. I look back and at least half of the chicks had it, but none if the other colors had it. All are from the same source so they can't be someone else's. The pictures below show the difference between the two lavender chicks with different leg colors.

Any ideas?

John

Re: Bantam Lavender leg color
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos, Zach.
I haven't seen any willow shanks on any of mine and that is why it is these are such a surprise.  I haven't caught all of mine and looked at them in hand, but I don't see any willow as I look at the birds in the pens.
Has anyone else that received bantam lavenders from me this year noticed any with willow?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
How old were the chicks when the photos were taken?  I'm wondering if these are still changing from their color during the chick stage.

John

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:05:35 PM »
Zach,

Please let me know if the ones with willow have any cuts (punches) in the webs of their feet.  This would tell me if they all came from one or both breeding pens and may help determine which birds I keep as breeders for next year.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:41:30 PM by John »

John

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
I sorted thru my bantam lavenders a week or two ago and did find one with the same willow color on the back of the it's shanks.  It was a fairly young bird, so it could be a phase some go thru but I will select against it.  I've seen willow shanks on young bantam silvers over the years and they turn slate as the birds mature.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
It has always been my contention that those showing willow at a month or two of age, but then later turn to slate, are those that are carriers of the willow shanks.   The yellow epidermis is recessive, so a carrier would only have one copy of the gene instead of two.   Yes, I think it is a good idea to eliminate them at a fairly early age - but not under a month old.