Author Topic: ISO: Bantam Sliver Am Roo or hatching eggs  (Read 4681 times)

Dirty Ankle Acres

ISO: Bantam Sliver Am Roo or hatching eggs
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
We lost our beloved sliver ameraucana rooster from John Blehm today, we are looking to replace him, his girls are lonely......would love to find roo but will take hatching eggs as well. Thanks in advance.

John

Re: ISO: Bantam Sliver Am Roo or hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
I just sold 40+ culls yesterday and a few were bantam silver cockerels. :(

Dirty Ankle Acres

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
 :( darn!! can you let me know next time you have any sliver bantam chicks, adults, etc........available

Russ

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
I may have an extra cockerel. Type and color are good comb is off a bit more looks like a short single comb with 3 slight ridges if that makes sense?

John

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:18 PM »
comb is off a bit more looks like a short single comb with 3 slight ridges if that makes sense?
It makes sense and is a problem that I've been trying to fix. Check out this link for more on it...
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=88595&page=1

Dirty Ankle Acres

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
Well John, our sliver bantam hen has a very nice tight pea comb with a cockrel you posted about if we were to cross the two it should correct the comb, we would just have to cull some........correct? if so, we would be interested

John

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »
Well John, our sliver bantam hen has a very nice tight pea comb with a cockrel you posted about if we were to cross the two it should correct the comb, we would just have to cull some........correct? if so, we would be interested

Russ has the extra cockerel.  I just think the comb he is talking about is like the one in my photo (above) and it is typical with my bantam silver cockerels.  I have made outcrosses to two other varieties to hopefully improve combs and several other traits that I think are wrong with bantam silvers.  When the proper genes aren't there it is time for outcrossing. 
The female's combs don't look like the male's.  What may look like a "nice" comb because it is small may not be all that great.  Look for 3 distinct rows.  If it is just a small comb without the very distinct 3 rows I think it will produce more males with the combs I described above.   

Russ

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
That is what I was talking about. That's why I am planing on out crossing my Silver Bantam with some Black Bantams from the Blue Breeding pen I purchased from Mike last year. Over all I believe they have the best pea comb I have seen. Out of 14 cockerels I hatched this year they all had excellent combs, I have 1 black that has silver leakage in hackles and 1 blue just starting to show leakage I might use over Silver hens? If you are interested e-mail me at slicktree@hotmail.com I could deliver to fowlfest and send pictures by phone if you like.

John

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
silver leakage in hackles and 1 blue just starting to show leakage I might use over Silver hens?
Consider using your best silver cock over a black pullet with the best pea comb.  That way you will be assured that the F1 pullets will be pure for silver.  Even thought the black and blue males show silver leakage, they may also carry gold (s).  It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between S/S and S/s, since silver (S) is dominant.

Russ

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the advise John, I take it I should only keep the F1 pullets right then breed back to silver with them correct?

John

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
That's what I would do.  They with the F2 all the birds will be pure for silver and you can use those cockerels back over the F1 and F2 pullets that you want to use.