Author Topic: Preparing incubators for hatching  (Read 11693 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Preparing incubators for hatching
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »
Not that I'm there yet, but I am beginning to think about a new hatch year.  Last year was a bad year with extremely poor hatches for us.  So what process can you share about how you get your birds and incubators ready for this new year?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:15:20 PM by John »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Mike Gilbert

Re: In Preparation for hatching
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
Don, I'm no incubation expert, but the best things you can do for your breeder flock to ensure they are not the problem are these.   Make sure they are on a complete breeder ration for at least a month before saving hatching eggs.  Don't give them "treats" as that diminishes the effectiveness of the feed by diluting it.  Make sure they have no issues with internal and external parasites.   Make sure your pens are kept clean and dry.   I use a water soluble vitamin and electrolyte supplement.   Maybe others would like to chime in here as well.

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
I agree with Mike. I think a lot of hatching problems stem from flock maintenance, not the incubators. As far as the incubators and hatchers go, I start with a thorough cleaning with Tek-Trol disinfectant solution. I usually run the incubators and hatchers for a couple of days to check for constant temperature and humidity and see that the egg turners are operating properly. If not, its maintenance time for heat elements, thermostats, motors etc. I try to have spare parts on stock at all times. Nothing worse than having a part go
out 2 weeks into a hatch cycle. With the Hatcher available I can transfer eggs and keep them warm while I make repairs and get back in business.
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
Thanks Gordan and Mike for the info.  I am working to add to the protein level in the feed available in our area.  There are game bird feeds that provide 20-28 % protein.  Unfortunately they are pricey $ 16-18. /50# and they do not include any animal products, only grain.  Most of the mills that produce poultry feeds don't want to handle animal products because of potential cross contamination.  I do have a single source of mash that includes poultry protein but I will have to include additional protein in one form or another.  Last year I used more soymeal but I'm going to look at other sources.

Another of the members was able to get a good hatch from our eggs last year and we had a couple hens that had great hatches.  So I suspect we had an incubator issue.  I did use Clorox and oxine to clean the unit twice but no change.  I did get a bottle of tektrol but was hesitant after reading the cautions on the label.  Gordon, did you put the unit outside while using this product?  What procedures worked best for you?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:08:52 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

John

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
Also check out this topic from 2012.  Tek-Trol is discussed.
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1704.15

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing incubators for hatching
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
Don, I use a spray bottle to liberally spray the diluted Tek-Trol on the outside and inside of the incubators and hatchers. I let it set for a few minutes and then use paper towels to swab and clean and air dry. I don't take the incubators outside to do this. If the odor is too great, you might crack a window, but I usually don't. When I gather eggs and have them in storage racks before incubation, I use the same spray of Tek-Trol to liberally spray them while in the racks. I give them another spray when I finally load them in the incubator for the starting of incubation.
Gordon Gilliam

John

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1704.15 reply #25
After I place the eggs into the plastic trays that go into the setters (incubators) and just before setting them I liberally spray the eggs with the Tek-Trol solution.  It completely covers the eggs and is much quicker then dipping them.

I sat 339 eggs tonight...my first setting of the year.  The photo shows a tray of eggs, just after being sprayed and just before going in to the setter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:10:18 PM by John Blehm »

Kitsch6

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
    • Www.frozenacrefarm.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Hi Don...
You can try buying cheap cat food to boost the protein level of your feed; we make a scratch mix of cat food, a little corn and BOSS.  But too much protein is just excreted and can damage their kidneys.  We also have found that cooking, crushing (beyond recognition!) and feeding the duds (shells and all) back to the birds seems to help.
We have an old Petersime redwood that we fumigate before setting.

Christine Kitsch
Christine Kitsch
Frozen Acre Farm

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 06:50:33 PM »
I've been doing the cat food as well. TSC has 40# bags for around $20.

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1704.15 reply #25
After I place the eggs into the plastic trays that go into the setters (incubators) and just before setting them I liberally spray the eggs with the Tek-Trol solution.  It completely covers the eggs and is much quicker then dipping them.

I sat 339 eggs tonight...my first setting of the year.  The photo shows a tray of eggs, just after being sprayed and just before going in to the setter.
John, how long have you used Tek-Trol on your eggs and do you see a difference in your hatch rate? I am not understanding how this does not harm the growth. Impressive. I don't even like to get water on my eggs before incubation. :o

John

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
John, how long have you used Tek-Trol on your eggs and do you see a difference in your hatch rate? I am not understanding how this does not harm the growth. Impressive. I don't even like to get water on my eggs before incubation. :o
I've probably been using it for several years and don't know that it affects the hatch.  I use it to sanitize the incubators and since the eggs go in them I started sanitizing them also.  Some folks dip and some of us spray (immersion vs. sprinkling  ???) .  I think I read, years ago, not to wash eggs for hatching, so I didn't.  Now I have no problem doing it to eggs that are very soiled. 

Mindy and Tom Best

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
I've probably been using it for several years and don't know that it affects the hatch.  I use it to sanitize the incubators and since the eggs go in them I started sanitizing them also.  Some folks dip and some of us spray (immersion vs. sprinkling  ???) .  I think I read, years ago, not to wash eggs for hatching, so I didn't.  Now I have no problem doing it to eggs that are very soiled.
Thanks John!

Tailfeathers

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:56 AM »
Several years ago, like my 1st or 2nd year of incubating, I did my own experiment with washing eggs or not.  If I recall correctly, I did 50 eggs each I think.  My results showed the washed eggs had a very slightly higher hatch rate but basically it was so small as to be irrelevant and I'd say in reality there was probably really no difference.

So my way of thinking since then has been to wash all my eggs prior to incubating as I'd rather not take any chances on bacteria or some other contamination in the incubator.

God Bless,

Beth C

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
Quote from: John
I think I read, years ago, not to wash eggs for hatching, so I didn't.  Now I have no problem doing it to eggs that are very soiled. 

Quote from: Tailfeathers
My results showed the washed eggs had a very slightly higher hatch rate but basically it was so small as to be irrelevant and I'd say in reality there was probably really no difference

Glad to hear I'm not the only one breaking that rule!  ;)

Art Smith

• ABC Members
  • Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »
Is tek-trol available in smaller amounts than 1 gallon sizes?