Author Topic: Ameraucana, Standard Breed  (Read 8767 times)

philipu

Ameraucana, Standard Breed
« on: May 25, 2005, 11:21:26 PM »

Hi, I have a question, I am going to be receiving some Standard Size Ameraucana chicks from Gary Mckinney,  I heard that this is the
last year for chicks from them.  I am wondering if anyone can
give me any feedback on the Ameraucana Breed that I will be
getting...it\'s the Special Deal #7, so there will be an assortment
of varieties, black, white, blue, buff, possibly some of each variety.
I know what the standard says on them....thanks, I want to
know others experience if any of Mckinney\'s birds.  I heard
they are good. thanks, phil

John

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:11:41 AM »
Hi Phil,
I\'m glad to hear you still have an interest in Ameraucana chickens.  It\'s been a few years since we talked.
I don\'t know for sure, but have heard that McKinney got there birds from Paul Smith of TX.  Paul is a good friend and reputable breeder & exhibitor.  I haven\'t heard from anyone that has bought from McKinney.  

philipu

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:51:47 AM »

Yes, John the Ameraucana\'s have always been lurking in the back of my mind.   So I thought I would give them a try.
I won\'t know until late fall what they birds will really look like,
and I\'m not sure if I want to do the Large or Bantam Ameraucana.
Are the temperaments different in the Large and Bantam?
phil

John

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 12:18:43 PM »
The temperaments vary more from variety to variety than breed (LF) to breed (bantam).  Take a look at my FAQ webpage, ChickHatchery.com, and you\'ll see how I rate their \"Temper\".  The silvers in both the LF and bantam are worst, but most varieties are very docile.

philipu

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »
Thanks John,
I see on your chart that the Silvers also have the best egg colour.
I have another question...I know that the legs are to be slate in
colour, what about the toe nails...I\'ve seen some light some dark.
What\'s the standard do you follow on the nails?
Thanks. phil

Suz

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 06:18:50 PM »
Hi Phil,

Welcome  :D  Good to see you here on the ABC Forum!

Susie Winder

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:24 PM »
Philip,
The standard does not say anything about toenail color, so I for one have never paid much attention to it.   There are so many other more important attributes that a good Ameraucana must have.   Breed type, plumage color, eye color, egg color, nice combs, full muffs without being being over-large, right size and weights, good temperament, and on and on.   I guess toenail color is one of the last items I would be concerned with.

Glad to hear you are trying the McKinney birds.   Most of us don\'t know much about their quality, having never ordered from them, so be sure to let us know how they turn out for you.  Thanks, and good luck!

Mike Gilbert
Wisconsin

philipu

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 11:16:40 PM »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the information, I have seen birds in other breeds, DQ\'d so that\'s why I posted the question.
I agree in what you wrote, I am playing with Marans, and eggcolour is the first priority in them, then of course, the French
Standard, which is being presented to the APA, Marans are being
presented in the White Variety,
I am hoping that there will be Buff Ameraucana\'s in the Special
Deal from Gary Mckinney, and I will  let the group know about them, if I think any are up to par, I will enter some in the shows this fall, the Idaho Show in November, if ready, show in Washington in December...and then Elliott Owen and I try to make it to the Roseville Show, which has been moved to Stockton, in the last week of January....got held up in a pass this last January for Avalanche Control, held up so long
had to enter birds in the morning of the show, not good.
phil

John

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 08:47:52 PM »
Phil,
I sent a Personal Message (PM) to you.

philipu

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 08:56:26 PM »
Thanks John, just PM\'d you. phil

John

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 07:37:55 PM »
The LF buffs have a way to go in development.  McKinney got their buffs from Paul Smith and I think Paul got his from (the late) Arne Schmidt, from MN.  I don\'t recall if Paul got any buffs from me, but he did get some other varieties from me.  Paul can fill in the blanks.
I do recall that Arne got buffs from me to use in his developement of his strain, once or twice.  He used buff Orpingtons to get the buff color as I did originally.  I also used buff laced Polish to get the blue legs, thanks to a suggestion from Earl Jones.  Jay Horn of CA bought LF buffs from both Arne and me as I recall, at Columbus a few years ago.  Others that may still have one or more LF buffs include, Rob Sando, , Larry Clionsky, Michael Muenks, Louis Sandersfeld and Greg Buckler.
If McKinney is getting out of the buff Ameraucana chick business it would be a good time for someone to try to buy their breeders.