The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Documenting project colors for Qualifying meets

<< < (3/4) > >>

Susan Mouw:

--- Quote from: Ernie Haire on February 20, 2018, 02:37:29 PM ---I am working with Splash Bantams now and would focus on LF when we decide to start working with getting them accepted. I realize that the Self Blues are our focus now, but thought that we agreed to work on Splash next. It could have been a misunderstanding on my part. Anyone who breeds Blues, can work with Splashes.

Ernie Haire
Poultry 2XL

--- End quote ---

You're right, Ernie.  Splash LF are next on the list.  I think we're waiting to get a little closer in the Self-Blue, though, before we start that journey, as many of the same folks involved with self-blue will be involved with splash and we don't want to overload anyone.

Don:
IMO we are not close with the Self Blue until we figure out a plan for the bantams and put this plan into action.  We need to work on both LF and bantams in a comparable process, somehow, some way.

Lindsay Helton:

--- Quote from: Don on February 20, 2018, 04:30:42 PM ---IMO we are not close with the Self Blue until we figure out a plan for the bantams and put this plan into action.  We need to work on both LF and bantams in a comparable process, somehow, some way.

--- End quote ---

I agree Don. It would be good to work on approval of the large fowl and the bantam color varieties simultaneously. Perhaps when acceptance of the next color variety is petitioned, a few folks can be identified to lead the LF fowl effort, and a few folks can be identified to lead the bantam effort. It seems that many that raise the LF color varieties that we are seeking approval for do not raise them in bantams, and likewise many that raise the bantams do not raise LF.

Paul:
  Hopefully we have learned from our mistake and can do both LF and Bantam splash at the same time.  Hopefully, we will not wait five years to be able to have 5 breeders who can sign an affidavit that they have bred the self blue bantams for 5 years while maintaining an APA membership, plus 2 years of prequalifying meets and 2 years of qualifying meets.  I'll be ready to start the splash recognition project within two years-while I'm still young enough to ride or drive-mostly ride-a long distance.  I think the bantam self blue recognition and splash recognition need to be simultaneously.

Susan Mouw:
One of the reasons we had to go the two year pre-qualifying route with LF self-blue is because we didn't have good records of how many C-H-K-P were shown in the previous years.  If we had been able to establish that the appropriate numbers had been entered at the preceding shows, we might have been able to circumvent those two years.

Our meet report form doesn't require that the number of each sex entered be notated, but if we could remember to make a note of that for both self-blue and splash - in both bantam and large fowl - we might be able to cut that timeline down by half for future applications.

For example, I just finished a meet report for the Southwestern Exp - lots of birds there! - If you were there and can remember how many of each sex for both self-blue (bantam only) and splash (both bantam and large fowl), I would be happy to include it on our meet reports and then use it when we file for those applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version