Author Topic: All that fuss, and I'm not taking them to the show :(  (Read 2125 times)

Janet

All that fuss, and I'm not taking them to the show :(
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
One thing led to another, and I've managed to take two lovely pullets that were in fantastic weight and condition and almost kill them--well the feathers might not have been what they should be as I didn't get them separated from the cockerels in time for the feathers to grow in nicely    .

When I separated them from the cockerels, I put them in a bare vegetable garden that had old dead stalks and hay for bedding in the little coop.  They were not used to being so confined without access to pasture.  The darn chickens went and ate the hay and stalks and ended up with blocked crops.  I thought they were going to die.  I've had them to an avian vet and we finally have them in pretty good shape, but the birds are quite underweight.  At least they no longer look like they want to die!

The shows I've entered are very small.  I've entered them in two small local APA/ABA sanctioned shows with only a few hundred birds at them, this weekend and in two weeks.  I may take them in two weeks.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice you have given me.  Hopefully, it won't be wasted and I can show them in two weeks.

SkiBuny

Re: All that fuss, and I'm not taking them to the show :(
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
I hope it works for you to show them! The first time I showed, and only so far, my rooster looked great, until I bathed him; it messed up his feather. Then at the show he did that runny nervous poop, making his butt feathers dirty :-(, oh well, he won BV (shall I mention he was the only one of his color variety? Hee hee! At least he wasn't DQ'd).
Shakti