Author Topic: Hatching a cracked egg  (Read 3465 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Hatching a cracked egg
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
I have mentioned using a little Elmer's glue on a cracked hatching egg several times, but thought I would show you an example with an egg that was cracked and had a pushed in round spot. This chick just hatched today. Glue really does work.  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:08:39 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Hatching a cracked egg
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
Glue? Now here I thought it was only for models, crafts, and hobby. Well I guess chicks can fall in that hobby class! It evidently didn't hold the shell together so as the chick couldn't peck it's way out. Maybe that's why they call it Elmer's Glue All.
Gordon Gilliam

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:10 PM »
I was watching that egg real close and it pipped away from the glue. I don't think the chick could have gotten out if it would have had to fight the glue. And I probably wouldn't have even set an egg that badly cracked had it not been one of Ruby's eggs. I'd like to get more chicks out of her since she is the foundation of my line and the one that helps put the size in them. She's the mother of the blue male on the website and is the hen I'm holding in the avatar. She's my baby.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Johnny Parks

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
This is so cool!  :)  So, if this chick is male, shouldn't you name him Elmer?  LOL

SkiBuny

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
Thanks for the tip Sharon, I may try that sometime! I've heard of melting wax and carefully, barely, covering cracks, but had no idea an egg with a dent could be incubated. :-)