Author Topic: Disease Testing and Vaccinations  (Read 4456 times)

Janet

Disease Testing and Vaccinations
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
I just received  the ABC 2014 Handbook in the mail and it is loaded with great information.  A heartfelt thank you to all who made it happen.

I read Paul Smith's horrifying article, "Should I Vaccinate for Laryngotracheitis."  I'm in Texas, my birds are in Texas, so that article hit a little close to home.

My first show is March 1. 

Is it too late to vaccinate?

What vaccinations and testing should I do?  First, for the show birds, and second, for the other birds that don't go to shows.  Also, where do I get the vaccines?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on vaccinations and testing.  The state tester will be coming to test my birds this week or next.

Thanks so much for everyone's very generous help and advice.

Janet
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:37:00 AM by John Blehm »

John

Re: Okay, I lied, one more question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Also, where do I get the vaccines?

Twin City Poultry Supplies

John

Re: Disease Testing and Vaccinations
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
Also check out this topic on the subject from a couple years ago...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1780.msg12263#msg12263

John

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
Is it too late to vaccinate?

In my opinion, yes and no.  The vaccine does "not spread from bird to bird".  Here is the quote from the site I gave the link to in an earlier post.

Has been shown to not spread from bird to bird in challenge-based contact controlled studies. Solid and uniform protection against infectious laryngotracheitis when administered via eye-drop or nostril.  Safe — more attenuated than CEO vaccines, has not been associated with vaccine-induced outbreaks

Others have disagreed with me on this, so please keep in mind that this is one person's opinion but based on claims from the vaccine manufacturer. 
For full protection there isn't enough time before your show, since the vaccine needs to be administered twice with 6 weeks between doses.  There is no reason you can't give the first dose a couple weeks before the show.  I wouldn't do it too close to the show, incase it stresses your birds during the show and that would defeat the purpose. 
Last year I only gave the ILT vaccine to the birds that I exhibited and don't plan to vaccinate for it in the future.  My decisions are based on decades of experience with ILT and other diseases with my flocks on my property and I don't necessarily suggest others follow suite. 
Remember to quarantine the birds for 21 days or more after bringing them home from a show.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:58:08 PM by John Blehm »

Janet

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »
I called the supplier recommended here on this forum, and he said their was no shedding with this vaccine.  I've had the vaccine shipped (today, bless his heart!) Express mail, so I'll vaccinate everyone as soon as it arrives.  It may not give full immunity, but there will be a lot of immunity after just the first dose plus almost a month.  Thanks everyone for your help and advice.  I'm new to poultry and really don't know what diseases I need to worry about.  Paul Smith's article was a real eye opener for me.

Janet

Janet

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
Okay, I think I have Laryngotracheitis vaccination sorted out.  I'll contact my avian vet and the manufacturer before I exhibit in my first show 23 days after vaccinating with FR-1 LT1 Vax.  I can always skip the show if they think there is any possibility of it shedding.

Next question on vaccinations:  Mareks.

Most of my chickens (almost one year old) were bought from a hatchery and were vaccinated for Mareks.  Seven came from an Ameraucana breeder and I was told that they didn't vaccinate their day-olds before shipping.  Two new 8-month old pullets just arrived from a breeder/judge and I am unaware of their Mareks' vaccination status.  Up until now, this has been a closed flock although my neighbor's chickens sometimes come close to my fence line.

Now that I am going to be attending and exhibiting in poultry shows, my flock circumstances have changed.

I want to vaccinate for Mareks.  What is the protocol for vaccinating older chickens and possibly unvaccinated chicks that arrive at two or three days old in the mail?

I'll be vaccinating annually for fowl pox.

I hope attend some poultry shows, so would appreciate any advice on a vaccination protocol/schedule for my birds.  I am new to chickens and really don't know much about chicken health issues.

I intend to vaccinate my current flock for Laryngotracheitis when the vaccine arrives today or tomorrow and revaccinate according the manufacturer's instructions.  I'll vaccinate later in the year after I will have no new birds arriving or hatching.  The un-vaccinated birds will get the normal vaccination and booster a few weeks later.  I intend to give another booster (give a third vaccination) to all the previously vaccinated birds so everyone on my property are on the same vaccination schedule.

Also, have parrots that live outside 24/7 eight months a year and will have a breeding trio in their aviary.

Thanks for any advice.

Janet

John

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
Next question on vaccinations:  Mareks.
Check out this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1864.msg13577#msg13577

Janet

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
Thank you.  I did read through the discussion on Mareks.  I got in touch with the manufacturer (Zoetis) and they recommended I vaccinate.  Mareks is everywhere, so my flock already might have been exposed and have immunity.

Janet

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »
Today I also contacted the manufacturer of the LT-I VAX (for Laryngotracheitis).  The technical vet said that there was no transmission of the virus from vaccinated birds to others and that full immunity would be attained in two weeks.  So, I can vaccinate and go to the show.

Whew!  I'm learning a lot about chicken keeping this week!