Author Topic: Last Question, I promise--Filling out entry forms  (Read 5361 times)

Janet

Last Question, I promise--Filling out entry forms
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:48 AM »
I am trying to fill out the entry forms for my first two small poultry shows.

On the first entry, I have an option of Open Show, Jr. Show, Backyard Show or Game.

What is Jr. Show?

On another entry form for the second show, they have under Entry Fee:
$3 per bird
$2 per bird Jr. Show
$5 Jr. Showmanship
$6 for double coop

On the entry form I am to tick off one of Backyard, APA/ABA or Jr.

What is the difference between Jr. Show and Jr. Showmanship?

Do I put the band numbers down on the entry forms?

Just to be sure I am entering my Am. Wheaten in the right class, she has grey color to her tail and wing feathers so she is a Blue Wheaten.  If she were a Wheaten she would have obvious black instead of the blue/grey, correct?

Thanks so much for everyone's patience.

Janet

John

Re: Last Question, I promise--Filling out entry forms
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
What is Jr. Show?
Many shows have a separate (from the "open" show) competition for kids only and call it a junior show.  The rules and details should be in the show catalog or show club's website.
Showmanship is another competition for the juniors where they are judged on their knowledge pertaining to poultry.
For "Breed" and "Variety" descriptions always use the official wording from the Standard.  Don't add things that aren't needed, like "bearded" when the breed/variety only comes bearded.

If the show has some kind of "backyard" category I would question what that is and if it means they will judge, rather than disqualify, non-standard birds I would not participate.  It should be APA and/or ABA sanctioned, if it is a real poultry show.
Each show has their own Entry Form and an email to the Show Superintendent should get the answers you have regarding their particular form and how it should be filled out.   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:16:29 PM by John Blehm »

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
Jr show/showmanship is for exhibitors under 18. You check the APA/ABA box. You don't need a double coop for Ameraucanas. If the form asks for band numbers then enter them. If not, don't worry about it.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

John

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
Jr show/showmanship is for exhibitors under 18
Aaron,
I believe that is what it should be, but they actually let 18 year old adults participate in junior competition and maybe showmanship too (I forget).  Anyway, when I was show superintendent I wrote the rule for our show as "17 and under", but had to change it to "18 and under". 

Janet,
The APA/ABA youth site has information that you may find helpful, including an article about filling out your first entry form.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:39:31 PM by John Blehm »

Janet

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks everyone so much.  These are, I think pretty, small local shows.  They are both ABA and APA sanctioned shows.  Small friendly local shows--a great place to start.  I've out filled my entry form--you are all saved from any more questions.

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »
On the reply John suggested Janet research APA/ABA youth site for filling out forms for  first timers. Also of interest for new members might be the history of the Ameraucana breed. On that same home page that John mentioned, go over to the right hand column and track down to the bottom of the page for history of AOSB. Click on Ameraucana. It will pull up history of the Ameraucana. Go about half way down in the article and you will be introduced to Mike Gilbert. I have posted before that my interest in Ameraucanas was inspired by those same Wheaten bantams that I saw in shows many years ago. As I have said before enough can never be said in gratitude for all Mike and others have done to not only establish the breed but start and maintain the Ameraucana Breeders Club. Here's my personal THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Mike.
Gordon Gilliam

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »
Thanks Gordon, but it was Don Cable who was the main driving force.    Back in the '70's he was already an experienced fancier, and I was the novice who really didn't know what we were up against at the time.   It is true I bred up the first wheaten bantams (and blue wheaten) from hatchery easter eggers.   I used a single wheaten Old English game hen to establish the color.   Later used a blue that came out of whites from Ralph Brazelton by way of Jerry Segler to cross on the wheatens to produce the blue wheatens.   Later, Wayne Meredith crossed my bantams with large fowl easter eggers to make the LF wheatens and blue wheatens.   I did write the Bantam Standard wording for Ameraucanas with a little editing assistance from Don and from Frank Gary, who was chairman of the ABA Standard committee at the time.   Later, the chair of the APA Standard Committee,  Prof. John Skinner of the University of Wisconsin, was kind enough to submit the APA version of the Ameraucana Standard to me for approval.  I made very few revisions to his work, as he had used the ABA Standard to base his version on.   I'm just glad the breed and club have grown and prospered.

Janet

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
I have a question for Mike Gilbert:  Can you explain to me why Ameraucanas are not in the American class? 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »

Sure.   I asked the same question at the time it happened.   It's because that is where the APA Standards Committee decided to place them.    I can't say for sure, but I believe the makeup of the committee at the time was such that they were not big fans of this new, upstart breed.   Or maybe they just felt the Ameraucana would have no chance of winning higher awards against established breeds in the American Class.   Whatever.   It makes no difference at this point.   It is what it is. 

Janet

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:13 AM »
Who writes the standards for the breeds?  Is it the breed club, or the APA?  I'm just new to this purebred chicken game, but am getting the feeling that the APA is somewhat insular.

I wish they would clean up their SOP.  It is just a mess of typos and wrong page numbers and is poorly organized.  In this computer age, there shouldn't be those kinds of errors.  There is just no excuse for an alphabetical listing in the index to have this error--O, P, B, S, T.

I should have had all my questions answered on either the APA web site or the SOP, but neither gave me any answers that I could find' so I my only option was to torment you kind folk and other internet forums.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

John

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
It is just a mess of typos and wrong page numbers...
Boy, that sounds like what I said when I got my 1998 (?) Standard.  Now I have the 2010 version and it isn't much better.  I've done enough printing to know a mistake or two can get thru even after proofing, but there is no excuse for the number of mistakes they have.

Note this topic from a few years ago...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1335.msg8371#msg8371

I recently noticed inconsistences in the APA show/meet report form and emailed the secretary.  They refer to Guinea Fowl (or Guineafowl) Guinea, Guineas and Guinea Fowl on the form.  I suggested they be consistent and correct by using the same name they use in their Standard..."Guinea Fowl".  I didn't receive a reply.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:02:50 AM by John Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:08:03 AM »
Janet, which page did you find that particular error on?   I can't find it in my 2010 Standard.

Janet

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
Mike, it's on Page 395 in the index.  Instead of an 'R' they typed a 'B.'  That sequencing should be automatic with the editor.  I wonder if they are hand setting this the way they did publications at the turn of the LAST century.

Yes, it is the 2010 version of the SOP.

More examples:

The index says LF Ameraucanas text is on P. 198, but Araucanas are on P. 198.  For someone like me, a novice who couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason for where birds were placed in the SOP, I went looking page by page to find Ameraucanas are Page 200.  Why are Ameraucanas after Araucanas????  Shouldn't AM--- be listed before AR----????

The Classes are set up really confusingly.  Why wouldn't you put the breeds in the class in alphabetical order, you know, the way the rest of the world organizes things like that and are expecting things to be organized.  I'm just new to poultry, but I shouldn't have so much trouble finding out what page the breed standard is that I want to read.

In the middle of the Class sections, describing each breed, they have on P. 173, past and current presidents and secretaries of APA.  Out of the blue, right between the Continental Class and All Other Standard Breeds Class.  Where is there any logic to that!

The type of the index is so small and the space so great between the word I'm looking up and the page number, I need a ruler to find the page number is associated with it.  Even then, I have to double check a few times to be sure I've lined up with the right page number.

And why aren't Ameraucanas in the American Class?  The first line of their standard reads:  "This breed was developed in the 1970s in the United States."  (P. 200, AMERICAN STANDARD OF PERFECTION 2010)  If that isn't an American breed, I don't know what is.

I think a 5th Grader could organize this book better.

With my luck, the person in charge of the SOP is reading this and I will be forever punished.   ;)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 05:09:05 PM »
I believe they are working on yet another editon, or will be in the near future.   They could probably use someone to volunteer to do some proof reading.   Actually, it is pretty much all volunteer work except for the actual production and printing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:55:52 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Janet

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
Is that a nudge?