Author Topic: Leg Bands  (Read 3326 times)

Leg Bands
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
Would someone explain the reasons for banding, any particular style required for showing, color needed, whether you should use adjustable bands over static size, and any other personal preferences and habits like identification schemes etc.?

Thanks,
Wes

Leg Bands
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »

we use wing bands
the numbers coinside with the year, ie all the1-100 are 001, 101-200 are 01, 201-300 are 02, 301-400 are 03, 401-500 are 04, 501-600 are 05 and this year 601-700 are 06.
works good until you hit 100 chicks!
Not too hard to do...but for now we have been using duplicate #\'s because we now use tags woth McKee on the backs of them, so the extras get the remainders of the tage that don\'t have mckee on the back.
Looks kinds funny on the NPIP forms
326-mckee, 321, etc
Oh and sometimes she writes the color of the tags, 475 gold, (actually brass), 452 sliver, (axctualy aluminun)..yeah a bit confusing, but thye still are all differant so ti is their unique identificastion.

Leg Bands
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
Quote from: DevilsThoughts
Would someone explain the reasons for banding, any particular style required for showing, color needed, whether you should use adjustable bands over static size, and any other personal preferences and habits like identification schemes etc.?

Thanks,
Wes

I toe mark for ID for matings and use colored zip ties so that I can see what birds are from different matings on the ground. That was more important when I had 10 matings of white rock bantams and raised 400 a year. For showing I try to use a band that makes for a nice contrast. I use pink bands on yellow legged white fowl or dark fowl, yellow or dark legged , Red bands on white legged fowl (like BB Red OE). Why ? Just cause I like the way it looks...  B) I use the metal split bands to ID birds long term.
Thurman

John

Leg Bands
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:49:44 PM »
the reasons for banding

I only band birds for age or pedigree identification.
I don\'t show much and don\'t band the birds that I do show.  Those that are really into it do band their birds and I think it may already be required in some states.
It looks like the feds will require it for all shows eventually.

Leg Bands
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:32:55 PM »

yep, in NY to get your NPIP certificate each bird has to be banded in a unique way, most use numberd leg bands, but a few of us use wing bands.  if the birds are not already banded when the state vet comes to do the testing, they will band them as they are tested.
not new though, has been that way for years now..just the feds are trying to make things even harder to cope with