Author Topic: Artificial Insemination  (Read 4208 times)

SkiBuny

Artificial Insemination
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
Does anybody know how to artificially inseminate chickens? From collecting from roosters to inseminating hens. I'm crossing a LF to BF and afraid the LF rooster will hurt the BF hen.

John

Re: Artificial Insemination
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
Check out this YouTube video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYCuzrWU7aQ

SkiBuny

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Thank you John! I want to say something funny, but not sure how it will come across, lol!

Russ

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
Well now I have seen it all  :o :o :o I personally would opt for some rubber gloves myself, before I attempted that lol

SkiBuny

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »
Well, my first attempt at this was quite interesting, to say the least! I decided to use the bantam male before resorting to LF (on BF hens). I wasn't sure if he was mating his girls, and the eggs have not been fertile. At first I had to watch the video over and over, to get the positioning correct. Next, couldn't see anything, so had to trim butt feathers; wow, feather pieces everywhere, like kids blowing on dandelions gone to seed, lol!!! Then I kept trying, and could see the 'organs' protruding a bit, but no luck in excretion. So, I gave up and put him back with his ladies. What happened next May be the funniest of all! He mated at least one of his two ladies! You have got to be kidding me, did I seriously get him roused enough to mate the ladies?! LOL!!! So...I will keep an eye on him with the other hen, maybe separated from the other, try another batch of eggs in a week or so, and go from there.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:02:19 AM »
I need to find some of those pipettes!!!!!

SkiBuny

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
I need to find some of those pipettes!!!!!

I would like to find some too! For now I purchased a small syringe, with tiny tube attachment instead of a needle. I anyone knows here to get the pipettes, please post a link here of where to get them, thank you!

John

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
Just doing a search for AI Pipettes brings up several sites that sell them, including Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Insemination-Kit-Pipettes-inches/dp/B006SJOCTW

SkiBuny

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »
Thank you John! :-)