Author Topic: Wheaten Cockerels  (Read 3074 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Wheaten Cockerels
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »
Hello again, I'd like some opinions on this if anyone can help me please.  I have a 4-1/2 month old LF Wheaten Ameraucana Cockerel that I thought would turn out nicely.  However, a fellow breeder just mentioned that the cockerel looked like he had "roach back".  When I run my hand down the cockerels back, the spinal column isn't smooth.  The spinal bones seem to separate at one point allowing the slight break where one vertebrae isn't as tightly knit to the other vertebrae.  It's hard to explain in words.  I've never seen it in any of my chickens before.  I was going to breed him, but if this is genetic I don't want to use him.  I'm attaching the best photo I have of him.
The only other cockerel I have to use now is one we've already discussed in a previous post "Body feather color".  I've attached a recent photo of this one also.  He has too much red in his tail but his chest is filling in.  He's got very clean hackle feathers.
I was going to sell this latter cockerel today to a guy who just wants a pretty rooster.  Now I'm having second thoughts because the clean hackle feather cockerel may be better than my 4-1/2 month old with the back issue. 
With either one, I don't think I have a cockerel good enough to sell any chicks from this year.  Should I get rid of both of these cockerels and wait for something better?  Is the back issue likely genetic?
Any advice?  All other cockerel possibilities I had are gone now for one reason or another.  I have two Wheaten Cockerels that hatched Valentines Day this year that were sired by my Blue Wheaten Cockerel who did very well in the Stockton Poultry Show this year.  Maybe I should wait for them to grow up.  Thanks for the help.  Linda

Mike Gilbert

Re: Wheaten Cockerels
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
I would save and use the second cockerel.  Clean hackles are not easy to come by in LF wheatens.  You can always work on the tail color next generation.   There are no perfect ones, but that makes it fun.  Roach back is indeed genetic unless caused by an injury.   Comparing the two birds, I prefer the second one by far.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
Mike, thank you for your input.  Since I've never seen "roach back" in any of my other birds I wonder if it could be caused by an injury?  I've been breeding Wheaten/Blue Wheatens for about 2 years. 
I have another question about selling chicks from the second cockerel pictured.  I've hatched chicks from him to grow out for myself, but I haven't sold chicks because I don't want to pass the brown in the tail problem to someone else.  It would be nice to make some money at this, but I don't want to sell poor quality birds.  Can I compensate for the brown in the cockerels tail, by pairing him with my best hens, or is it best to wait till I have something better to sell?  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks - Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »

My thoughts are this:   if everything else is right on the bird, some brown in the tail is pretty minor.  Does he have a nice solid black chest?   If so, he is probably better than about 90% of the LF wheaten males out there.