Author Topic: Phenotype  (Read 4689 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Phenotype
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
I've learned from previous posts that the dark spot on a Wheaten chick's head is the correct phenotype for a Wheaten chick.  Would the phenotype marking be the same for a Blue Wheaten, and a Splash Wheaten?

Where is the best place to read/learn about Phenotype 1, 2, & 3?   I've come across these on the Forum but don't know what they mean.

Thank you - Linda

Mike Gilbert

Re: Phenotype
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Same for blue wheaten, except I believe the spot will normally be lighter in color.   Splash wheaten I'm not so sure about - maybe the two copies of Bl would eliminate it?   Paul, what say you?   But I would not be two quick to cull any chicks with no spots no matter which color is expected.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »
I have a lot of blue wheaten and wheaten chicks with the black spot on their heads! I was worried there was something wrong with them and i was thinking about culling them. Thanks for clearing this up. I was geting buffs like this but i almost have them all clean from spotted heads now.

John

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Where is the best place to read/learn about Phenotype 1, 2, & 3?   I've come across these on the Forum but don't know what they mean.
I was hoping someone would answer this, because I don't remember ever hearing about phenotype 1, 2 & 3.  Please post a link to a reference if possible.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:29:50 PM by John Blehm »

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »
I'm not sure how to post a link, but this is how I find it.  Under the heading "Breeding" search "Chick Phenotype Photo Project".  Click on that post and the second post in that string, dated 8-28-13, has a reference to phenotype 1, 2 & 3.  Linda
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:17:00 PM by John Blehm »

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Exactly what is the dark spot supposed to signify?  I hatched out a few chicks last year and now quite a few more this year, and I've yet to see a dark spot.  I sometimes see a more yellow area, but not a dark spot.  Two of the birds I grew out last year won BV and RV at a show.  Not bad looking birds at all, although the blue female could have used more color in the tail I thought.  She looked very similar to the one posted in the photo section.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Does anyone know what the dark spot is supposed to bring to the bird?
Sharon

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »

I believe it signifies a reservoir of eumelanin pigment, or the genetic ability to produce eumelanin.   This is the pigment that makes the black color in the feathers.   It is needed for the tail and wings of wheaten females. 

John

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
I believe Mike is right.  I've noticed that a buff (also wheaten based) chick with the dark stripe/spot on it's head will end up with some black feathers.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Thanks Mike, John.  Does this apply to males also?  Mine do not seem to have suffered from lack of color.  Hackles are pretty clean on my blue and not bad on my wheaten.  Do you think it might have anything to do with the black the males sometimes have in their hackles?
Sharon