Author Topic: hen that does not breed.  (Read 7962 times)

John

Re: hen that does not breed.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
Also try cutting back the beaks, with toenail clippers, on the egg eaters.  Jerry Segler has mentioned it before also.  If it hurts pecking on the ceramic eggs and they can't break them open they may give up.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
Hens and Roosters can become bored easily and start egg eating.  Its a hard habit to break.  You can try the dish soap filled egg, move them to another pen or do anything that might change the environment.  Change the nest to a blind nest or trap nest might help.  But most of all make sure they don't want for anything.  Make sure they have oyster shell and granite grit.  Give them plenty of green stuff, cabbage, free range or anything to occupy their time.  I seem to do better with crumbles rather than pellets.  It takes a little longer for them to eat with crumbles.  They waste more if your not careful.  Good Luck!
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
Don i give them crumbles and they do not use the egg box to lay in. They lay anywere in the pen they want exept for the egg box! I put the fake eggs were they lay and they will move away from them to lay! I do not like moving them because they will quit laying for awhile. I will try triming their beaks and then if that does not work, move them to a different pen. Thanks

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
Don i give them crumbles and they do not use the egg box to lay in. They lay anywere in the pen they want exept for the egg box! I put the fake eggs were they lay and they will move away from them to lay! I do not like moving them because they will quit laying for awhile. I will try triming their beaks and then if that does not work, move them to a different pen. Thanks

Dwayne you might try pinless peepers.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
Well my hen died. Her uterus broke and i lost her. I moved my other hens and i have been getting eggs from them. One of my blue wheaten hens went broody on my ceramic eggs also, so i moved her to.

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you lost your hen.  :(

I seem to be experiencing the same thing with one of mine. I've been trying to get offspring from her since spring began...I've used three different cocks over her so far and not a single fertile egg yet. It's very disheartening because she has this certain youthful pullet look that I'd love to replicate, and lays a large sized sky blue egg. Her vent looks good too, not overly fluffy or any pokey feathers. I'm kind of stumped.  :-\

And going to be massively disappointed if she turns out to be a dud.  :'(
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

John

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »
I've used three different cocks over her so far and not a single fertile egg yet.
I had one like that this season too.  It was a different breed, but she was the best layer of the largest eggs.  I first blamed the cock and even kept the pair together for several weeks before trying another...still not one fertile egg from her over the 12+ week hatching season.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »
I am thinking my hen died because of her uterus. I was told it broke inside her. So i am thinking there was something wrong with it and sperm may not have been able to make it to the egg. I did notice when she sat down to lay an egg, it would take her hours and she couldnt sit still. I think it may have been hurting her to lay eggs.

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »
Prolapse is something I've been lucky not to have experienced (knock on wood). It sounds awful for all involved.

John, my hen happens to be one of my best layers too. She began at 19 wks in the dead of winter with no additional lighting...definitely a trait I wanted more of...but if males can be infertile, I guess it stands to reason females can be as well. What a bummer. 

On the bright side, at least I'll have lots of good breakfasts! heh

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden