Author Topic: Males or females, how soon can you tell?  (Read 2631 times)

Males or females, how soon can you tell?
« on: March 16, 2006, 05:51:27 PM »
I have 5 black ameraucana chicks in the brooder. They are of various ages, but were all hatched within a 2 week period last month. Not sure how long I have to wait to be able to tell whether they are boys or girl. Anyone here have any tips? Cant really go by combs like my Dutch.

Suz

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:11:03 PM »
I have seen young cockerels doing their practice bluffing/fighting very early.  In fact, last night I saw two of my 11-day old chicks puffing up their chests at each other--just for a moment--and then turning and walking away.   Sometimes they make the motions of crowing really young, too, even though no sound comes out.   Boys......   ;)

*** I should probably add that these are only \"tips\" and not definite rules.  I raise all of my chicks to adults unless they have a physical problem, so I only use these observations for entertainment and not any culling purposes.

bantamhill

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:03:54 AM »
It really depends on the variety . . . which varieties do you have?

Michael

John

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
With blacks the combs, tails and hackle & saddle feathers may be the best indicators.  It just takes time.
Buffs seem to be the most difficult for me to sex and it may take around four months to tell the difference.

bantamhill

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:48:21 PM »
I am having a lot of brain misfires! I agree with John, look at the hackle and sickle feathers as the males are maturing you will see the hackle and sickle feathers narrow.

Michael :o