Author Topic: Duckfoot issues  (Read 4161 times)

KalJen Farm

Duckfoot issues
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
Hello Everyone! It has been ages since i was last on. Just wanted to give everyone a status update. I am currently off for the summer from Wilmington College. I am majoring in Animal Science. I have been extremely busy doing improvements on my poultry facilities. With that said i have hatched nearly 130 ameraucanas this year. I am very pleased wit the years hatches except for one little thing...duckfoot. I remember another poultry breeder pointing that out on one of my young blue cockerels three years ago. I had promptly gotten rid of that bird like he suggests and went on my merry way with my flock. I went out to my flock of 38 4 to 5 month old ameraucanas....and i "think" 10 of them have duck foot. A few were obvious but then there is a handful that have the hind toe forward on only one leg and the other foots fine. Then there are some where the toe is sticking slightly in towards the other foot but not completely back like i want. From my research duck foot is genetic? I will dull if i need to, but i find it odd all the duck footed birds happen to be my BEST males and females...and they are all black. I have my speculations that it is from initially my black cock bird and then his son. I bred with both this year and both groups of birds blue and blacks have this popping up. I will post pictures later today and put them on tonight.

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Duckfoot issues
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Hi Jensen,
I share your duck foot woes unfortunately…  :-\

I only learned about the dreaded DQ last year when I had it pop up in one of the blue/black strains I’m working with, and strangely enough, only in the best type females of the family. I didn’t catch it until the birds were 14 weeks plus, and even after ruthlessly culling everything with even a hint of duck foot, I’m still seeing a few cases again this year. The only difference is I know exactly which pair are producing the faulty chicks this time around…the real burn is the fact they’re also producing some of the years finest offspring with no visible duck foot …but I’m pretty certain the gene is there, hidden and recessive, waiting to rear its ugly foot down the road. Which leads me to believe it runs strong in the family line and is going to require numerous generations of test matings (and likely new blood) to rid myself of. It is a bit frustrating for sure, because good feet are essential for good balance and fertility. That and the fact nice legs just look nice.

Thought I'd post the SOP picture of duck foot for those fortunate enough not to have seen it in real life. My birds showing DF seem to have it to varying degrees and mostly on the right foot for some reason. Some are definitely more noticeable than others, though I’ve only had one pullet with it as pronounced as in the picture.

My tentative plan is to mate the sibs not showing the fault together and see what undesirables come up from the depths, as well as shop around for a strain with exceptional feet. (Fingers crossed my chick import comes through this time...I really, really need those feet!)

As for the duck foot producing parents, I haven’t had the gumption to reach for the axe yet... but thinking it will probably come to that…

Sorry you have to deal with this too…I’m curious to see your pictures though. Also hope others who’ve dealt with duck foot will chime in with advice on how to best combat this DQ…many thanks!  :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

KalJen Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »
Thank you so much for the info! I just had another poultry breeder come out and confirm my findings. All of the duck footed birds are destroyed much to my relief there was only two.

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
Well, I'm glad if my ramblings helped any...and the fact you only had two to cull, and it's been taken care of.  That must be a relief.

I'm sad to say my duck foot chick count has gone up significantly over the past few days, and has me a little down in the dumps to be perfectly honest...  :(

I like a good challenge and all, but not understanding the genetics behind the deformity is making it hard to come up with the right plan...and one not doomed to failure from the start. And I can't help wondering if it's even worth my time? Not trying to sound harsh, but good quality feed isn't exactly cheap these days, and culls (as yummy as they are) are not what I want to spend most of my time, and the summer, growing out.

'You have what you tolerate!' are the words written across my coop log, words I am striving to follow in my breeding practices. Sigh...
I know what I have to do now, and will start the day by bucking up...

Thanks for posting this topic Jensen. It's nice to chat with others who can relate. My husband threatened to move my things out to a coop (is that supposed to be a punishment? ::) haha) if he hears the word 'duckfoot' one more time...we'll just see about that! LOL
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden