Author Topic: Looking for some opinions  (Read 5768 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Looking for some opinions
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »
I am posting these pictures for Jeff Vance. He would like to get everyone's opinion of these birds.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
From what I can see, I like the Wheaten cockerel. He has a nice looking tail, nice black chest good leg color and his hackle looks clean in the pic. It's hard to tell anything about his type. It would be best if we had a pic of him standing on the ground. then we could see how he's shaped, how he stands and how he holds his tail. Ok Jeff that being said I'd like to take a closer look, so just put him in a box and send him to me. I'll study him for a couple years and send him back of course I'll let you know what I think about him at that time. :)  (Good feather quality) What are you feeding that rooster? it looks like you gave him a bath in oil.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
I'll just echo Cliff's comments about the wheaten.   Nice bird according to the photos.   The blue wheaten has some issues.   Or is he splash wheaten?  Hard to tell sometimes.   Tail coverts are just not there, red in the breast, tail too high (according to the photo), sparse muffs & beard.   But pictures can sometimes be deceiving.   I would be interested in knowing where the wheaten was sourced from?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:56:23 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Tailfeathers

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »
Ditto to both Cliff and Mike.  I would not use the BW unless I absolutely had to.  Better to use the W over some BW's and try for another BW cockbird.  Also echo Mike's curiosity.  Where'd these birds come from.  Both have nice clean hackles.

God Bless,

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »
Thanks Cliff, Mike and Tailfeathers for the compliments on the wheaten cockerel.   Cliff, instead of me shipping him to you just bring me some of those good wheaten pullets and blue wheaten pullets to the nationals, and then I can ship you some good eggs!  Because we know you do a great job hatching!!!!    Mike and Tailfeathers, I picked these up from Barbara Campbell this year.   The blue or ?splash wheaten has changed so many colors since I have had him, not real sure of what exactly he is. but I will keep him until he molts out and see what I have.  I have plenty of room for him.    Keep the comments coming, they are very helpful.  And  Thanks Mrs Sharon for your great help on getting my pics on the forum, you are so much appreciated. 
                                                                                       Jeff and Cheryl 
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
Thanks for getting the pictures posted Jeff.  Seeing other Wheatens is very helpful since I ask a lot of questions about Wheatens.  I agree with Cliff, Mike and Royce and I'd ad the Wheaten looks to have a nice comb. 
The other bird looks like a Splash Wheaten to me.  The red/orange color is lighter than the few Splash Wheatens I've hatched here, but my focus in on Wheatens.   Always nice to see other peoples Wheaten variety.  Thank you - Linda

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »

I wonder if Barbara Campbell is still raising birds?   Or has she sold her flock off at this point?  She made a lot of progress with them in the years she has been raising them.   

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. It's always nice to be appreciated. Glad I could help. Feel free to ask anytime.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
Mike,    She is still breeding some, she has one brood yard that is really nice and she can set up another nice yard.  When I went up there in March, she got real excited about breeding again and she does know her wheatens.  She said she wanted to try to come to the nationals. 
   Clif, the feed that I am feeding is what we had discussed.   
 Linda,  thank you, we are trying our best to do well with these wheatens, only have one nice hen right now, it's been so hard to find this variety of chicken,    Cliff and Sharon has really helped me with my blues, but these wheatens, lord help us!         And thanks again Sharon for posting our pics.
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
Jeff, you weren't kidding when you said you could condition birds!  I'm so glad the wheaten has turned out to be such a nice cock.

Mike, funny thing:  I hatched a handful o(10) chicks last year for replacement pullets and got some really nice birds out of them.  Figures since I wasn't really trying lol.  I had decided that it didn't make sense to give them up entirely after putting so much time and effort into them so I've kept a small number of good birds.  I didn't hatch anything this past spring but am hoping to hatch a few this fall.  Dick and I are seriously thinking about coming to Lucasville.  It would be so nice to see everyone again and to be able to enjoy the show w/o the responsibilities off a club officer :)

John

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
Dick and I are seriously thinking about coming to Lucasville.  It would be so nice to see everyone again and to be able to enjoy the show w/o the responsibilities off a club officer :)

Barbara,

I'll be there, but without Kathy this time.  My friend, Ed Linton, is going with me.  He is a good friend and long time breeder of bantam Hamburgs.  It would be great to see you and Dick and of course I'm looking forward to seeing friends in the fancy.

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »
Thanks John! It would be good to see you too and to meet some of the newer members since my last show!