Author Topic: ?? What's the best brand incubator on the market??  (Read 12123 times)

Hannah Brush

• Junior Master Exhibitor
    • View Profile
?? What's the best brand incubator on the market??
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
I was wondering if any one  knows or has past experience on which brand of incubator to use??
I want to start hatching my own chick's..... But I don't know what brand of incubator to buy.
Also I have never hatched my own eggs does any one have some helpful tips to increase the chances of hatching?   ???
--Hannah

Clif Redden

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Re: ?? What's the best brand incubator on the market??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:47 AM »
Hi Hannah,  I started with a Styrofoam incubator I like the Genesis. It has an electronically controlled thermostat and if you buy a turner to go with it I believe it holds 42 eggs. I always get a pretty good hatch when I use mine. It's easy to use, the correct temperature is preset for chicken eggs, pretty much all you have to do is add water for humidity about every three days. As far as hatching tips, you should gather every day so your eggs are as clean as possible. I bought extra turners to keep to store my egg while they wait to be incubated. Keep them in a cool place 50-60 degrees if possible and make sure the eggs air sack is at the top, the air sack should be at the big end of the egg. If you have dirty eggs either clean them or don't set them dirty eggs can cut the percentage of your hatch way down. There is more I'm sure others will be glad to share. Hope this helps. Good luck!

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:05 AM »
I used a styrofoam bator also when i started. I still have it and i use it to set eggs after day 18. It is a hovabator with digital contols. It cost 200 dollars brand new. You just set the temp and it holds it all by its self. Keep it in a room that is about 72 degrees and it will do fine. I also have an egg turner for it. I got a sportsman 1502 off of craigs list that i use now.it holds 180 eggs and it works better. I still hatch with my hovabator though, its easy to clean. Do not wash your eggs, and store them in a cool place with the big end up. I have hatched around 800 eggs this year and i stopped hatching last month. I can post a picture of my set up to give you ideas. I can tell you more when your dad calls me back if you like.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
Here are some pictures. I used skids to build this. I have buckets of water under it for humidity and you can see the hovabator also.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
Hannah...I use a Brinsea 190 to incubate the first 18 days, then hatch in the Hovabators. This way my expensive machine stays clean and I can keep different batches of eggs going, regardless of the stages of development they are in...I'm just careful to make sure I date the tops of my eggs so I know when they need to come out.

Do not wash your eggs, and store them in a cool place with the big end up.

DeWayne...Why don't you store your eggs in a cool place with the big end up? Please explain how you store yours. I've always kept mine in my basement 60-63 degrees and put them in egg cartons with the big egg end up. I close and prop the carton up on their sides, then rotate the carton from side to side a couple of times a day...although I like Clif's idea of an egg turner doing that for me. (Thanks for the tip, Clif!)

Hannah...And as far as cleaning/washing, I keep a pretty clean coop and make sure the hen boxes are always clean. I have, however, had some eggs get a little soiled from dirty feet or poop and if they aren't too bad, I incubate them after I've dipped them in Oxine and gently wiped off the soiled spot. Cleaning an egg (with Oxine or just water) is different than washing it. I don't think your hatch rate would be good if you washed the egg, but gently cleaning the soiled spot is far better than incubating a dirty egg. If in doubt, don't incubate it. 
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

John

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »
Keep in mind the "search" box in the upper right hand corner.  Do the searches from the Home page for the most results and try "incubat" for this topic.  Some of the old topics will just be about incubating, but some should have suggestions on what others consider the better incubators.
Here is one to start with...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=739.msg4667#msg4667

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Sharron i do store mine in a cool place. They are in the basement beside the incubator. I do put the big end of the egg up also. Right now my basement is warmer than usual because of outside temps but im not collecting eggs to incubate till fall. Sorry if i mislead you. :)

John

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
store your eggs
I've posted this link before, but here it is again for those that may not checked it out.  I gives good information about hatching eggs.
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/qualconproc.pdf

Hannah Brush

• Junior Master Exhibitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
Thank you guys for all the tips. and the Web Site john  ;D :D
--Hannah

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »
DeWayne...I guess I just read your post wrong. It seemed like you meant don't wash them and store them in a cool place with the big end up. What you were actually saying is - Don't wash them but do store them in a cool place... right? Them silly little commas get me confused sometimes  ???
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Yes thats what i meant. I use my cell phone here and sometimes the words are small and the commas.  ;D

Russ

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
all i would add is buy a digital thermometer/hygrometer to keep your temp & humidity honest and have fun  :D

Tailfeathers

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
The one that hatches the most chicks!  Now where is that Smiley for ROTLMBO??   ;D

Seriously, I've used a Sportsman 1502 for many years now and couldn't be happier.  Just turn it on, check the setting in a couple of hours, and never bother with it again. 

God Bless,

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »
Royce, here's your Smiley  :) , but what is ROTLMBO? You're right, Running my 1502 is easier than trying to figure out what ROTLMBO means! Does it have anything to do about trying to solve the Rubik's cube puzzle?
Gordon Gilliam

Tailfeathers

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 12:22:47 AM »
Gordon, "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Behind Off".  Some sites have a little guy "Smiley" that does it   ;D