Author Topic: Argument  (Read 3611 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Argument
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:08:22 AM »
I was at tractor supply yesterday getting feed and they were out of what i wanted. I asked the lady that was working in that department, if there was any in the back. She said no. Then she asked me what kind of chickens i have. I told her and she said she had Ameraucanas to. I asked her if they were pure breed and she said yes. So i asked her what kind she had and she said just Ameraucanas. So i pulled this site up on my phone and showed her the picuters of the different varieties and she looked at me and said well these came from the hatchery and they wouldn`t lie! I told her to look this site up on her computer when she got home and she said, she don`t have internet and walked away. As an employee that works at a place that sells chicks in the spring, you would hope they would tell people the difference. Instead they are helping the hatchery lie!  :(

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Argument
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »
   It's never easy breaking bad news to folks.  Most people are happy in Bliss with what they have and where they are in life and in raising chickens.  The hatchery source of birds and information will continue until most of us are old and grey, or beyond.  Lots of folks think that hatcheries have quality birds in all breeds/varieties.  But they just don't.  I wouldn't buy Barred Rocks from a hatchery and expect a quality flock of birds. People don't know.
   We just have to be patient and kind to those who have been sold something else.  We have to give them enough info to see if they are interested in going thru the effort to obtain and raise quality birds.  Some will be interested and open to learn more. Some will just want to run from the truth and keep their head in the sand.  One convert at a time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:42:55 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Schroeder

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a know it all at the paint store.  Somehow I got to talking about my chickens and told him about blue egg layers. He went into quite a speech about how he had tried those fancy brown  and other colored eggs.  He didn't like them.  He refused to eat anything but the white eggs from the grocery store and turned down the brown eggs a friend would offer him.  (I'm wondering about this friend!)  I said, "Well I think farm raised eggs are better for you."  He started into his rant again and I knew there was no sense of me trying to educate such a knowledgeable person!

KalJen Farm

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
It is very ironic you bring up the "you can't get good birds from hatcheries" argument DeWayne. I too experienced something similar. The only issues was it came from an APA judge at our local county 4H show in front of kids and parents. He said on the loudspeaker to not get your birds from Murry McMurry Hatchery. That they needed to seek out breeder that raise the birds you want. you will get better quality birds bla, bla, bla, bla. A big part of me was amen to that, but then we had a few angry parents and more or less angry poultry committee member the rest of the show. Except for one family, who's father has show and attended APA shows all his life, no one else knows how to care for or get show worthy birds. In some ways i don't blame them. All they have seen is the hatchery birds and raised hatchery birds so how could they know the difference?? I am now to old to show there but i have sold/give some of my birds. one to a close friend who sill shows, and one to a 9 year old who just loves chickens in general. The 9 year old just does not have the knowhow yet to keep her birds in good condition or the setup, and i just have yet to get ahold of my friend to show her whats what. other than that everyone else's birds have probably just been plucked from the hatchery laying flock the day before the show. Myself and the father of the girl who has the good birds has offered numerous people to find them good birds "just tell us what you want' but they never get back with us. Right now that family is getting a lot of flack because the girl has won EVERYTHING 3 years in a row. the flip side is the girl takes care of her birds well, I know that for a fact. I am thinking about next year actually putting something on our bulletin board. Anyone know of some good "gentle breaking" articles on what is show quality birds and APA shows?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:02:54 AM by Jensen »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
I would encourage them to check out the APA website, especially the article found at the following link.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/Pure_bred_poultry.htm

If they show any interest, share older copies of Poultry Press so they can see what the world of exhibition poultry is all about.   That said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.  Realize that most folks who keep chickens will never be interested in showing competitively.   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:58:15 AM by Mike Gilbert »

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »
I know about every member ran into people like this, and i know some will not want to beleive what we tell them. Yes when i am long gone, this will still be an issue. But the employees at tractor supply are either farmers or people that are educated in farming. This helps them understand customers better. But this employee just didn`t want to hear anything i was saying and she will keep misleading people about Ameraucanas in the spring. Even if you don`t show your birds, you should atleast know the difference in pure breed birds. As an employee that sells chicks it should matter even more. O well i guess i shouldn`t get upset about this and just be here for the people that wants to know the truth. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:11:20 PM by DeWayne Edgin »

Beth C

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
This is a long-standing complaint with Tractor Supply, both at store level and at corporate. I know literally dozens of people who have written them complaining about their deceptive marketing, selling EEs as Ameraucanas. Someone launched a writing campaign on another site a few years ago, sending links to our site and other documentation. They either received no response at all, or a patronizing "thank you for you interest, yes we sell purebred Ameraucanas." An agricultural background isn't a requirement - although they ask about it on their application, they'll take retail experience over ag experience every time - and most have no knowledge of chickens at all, or know just enough to be dangerous, like the woman you encountered. That said, all the feed stores in the area sell their chicks as Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Americanas, etc. - none use the term "Easter Eggers." About all you can do is post an ad on their classified board (which is normally near the bathrooms @TSC) advertising your birds and explaining the difference, and hope customers read it before buying their mutts.

John

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Here is topic from a few years ago that pertains. 
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1591.msg10385#msg10385

I checked the link and it still works.
http://www.albc-usa.org/tractor_supply_partnership.html
I understand wanting $ to promote your mission, but what hypocrites...they actually include a link to "TSC Chick Days".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:26:33 PM by John Blehm »

Tailfeathers

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
I imagine as long as there are Ameraucanas and hatcheries, there will be this problem.  I don't have the time to go into the story right now so suffice it to say that I sold some chicks to a lady who called me because sev'l had died (judging from the description) from Coccidiosis.  When I asked her if she was feeding them the Medicated Start & Grow that I told her about, she said she didn't know.  I asked her to go look and let me know.  She came back and told me it was Organic Layer Crumble which is what the feedstore told her to use when she asked what to feed her chicks. 

Point being, the folks at the feedstores, and I'm guessing TSC fits in there, from my experience don't know anything about chickens.  What's worse is in one instance I happened to witness a guy outright lying to someone when asked if they sold Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers.  I know it told them a bold faced lie because I argued with him over "Well, the hatcheries wouldn't lie." and showed him the proof not all that long before he told these people that his EE's were Ameraucanas.  There is also a guy on eBay selling a "Blue Splash" and a "Blue Splash Wheaten".  I tried to nicely point out there is no such thing and he's just a flaming jerk.  I've reported him to eBay several times but they apparently aren't going to do anything about his continued intentional misleading info.

All I can say is that we all just need to keep telling the truth and putting it out there.  There's enough lies and deception to probably keep us from ever touching everybody but it does nobody any good to just let it go and not say anything.

God Bless,

Beth C

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
I've reported him to eBay several times but they apparently aren't going to do anything about his continued intentional misleading info.

I've reported ads like these to E-Bay as well and they could care less. I doubt they would remove an ad for methamphetamine...

Craigslist, on the other hand, is self-policed. If you see people selling mutts as Ameraucanas, flag 'em!