Author Topic: Easter Chicks  (Read 2332 times)

Easter Chicks
« on: March 24, 2006, 02:37:39 PM »
Has anybody ever injected dye into incubated ameraucana eggs to get \"Easter\" chicks that would lay green and blue eggs when they grew up?  

When I was little, I remember being told that the colored chicks (blue, green, purple, yellow, and red) would all grow up and lay that color of an egg.  I was very disappointed when they lost their color after a few weeks and even more disappointed when I didn\'t get any blue or green eggs from my two dyed chicks a year later.

Seems to me I could have been spared a little heartache back then if they\'d used Araucana eggs (back then, everything was an Araucana if it layed a blue or green egg).

Easter Chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »

Well some states won\'t allow them to be sold anymore..because it entices folks to buy chicks..who have no clue how to raise them..in Ny you can\'t buy less than 6 as an additional deturant..but still lots of folks buying babies the can\'t take care of :(
Most of the feed store here won\'t carrie chicks at easter time either to help prevent them from going to folks who can\'t care for them.