Author Topic: Brooder heaters  (Read 7373 times)

Art Smith

• ABC Members
  • Alabama
    • View Profile
Brooder heaters
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
Has anyone had experience with the screw in ceramic heaters? They are advertised for reptiles, but I was wondering if they might be a good alternative for a brooder.

Mike Gilbert

Re: Brooder heaters
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
Here is what I think I'll be using.

http://www.sweeterheater.com/

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
I’ve never used the ceramic bulbs myself. But I did use something new for brooding this year called comfort heat plates. They look pretty similar to the sweeter heater Mike posted. The large plate broods up to 50 chicks, and uses 62 watts, and the small plate can brood up to 20 chicks, and uses 22 watts. The energy savings alone make contact heaters appealing, and well worth the initial cost imo.

What I liked best though, was how content the chicks brooded under the plates were, as well as being noticeably calmer. Whenever cold or frightened, they could duck under the security of the plate, just as they would with a broody. I think having a more natural day/night cycle is good for overall growth and health as well. 24/7 light was something I never liked about the bulbs. That and always worrying about a farmers worst fear…fire.

Brooder comparison test

Comfort is…warmth and security.  :)

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
I'm curious as to how well the bedding stays dry when using the plates. I know the heat lamps help evaporate a lot of the moisture from their feces and the mess they can make around their water.
Max Strawn

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
I noticed you are using straw instead of sawdust. Sawdust also helps the brooder stay dry and is way less dangerous than straw for catching fire. I had a heat lamp fall down to low from chicks jumping up and hitting it. I use saw dust and it did catch fire, but it only burnt in an area about the size of a football and went out. Straw would have burnt faster and would spread more. My only cocern with the heat lamps is, when i use a tub like you have and since it is to small for 2 lights. If the bulb gets broke or just burns out you do not have a backup light. Over night and while i am working are the times i worry.

Schroeder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
Art:
If you are referring to the ceramic bulbs that screw into a light fixture, I have had bad experiences with them, using them in a small coop.  On two different occasions, they burned out after a couple of months for no apparent reason.  One time, the bulb was left hanging from wires when the base apparently shattered.  Obviously, this did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I now use the plate-type heaters others describe in my brooders .
Duane

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
I never had any problems with moisture, Max. I used the heat plates on top old towels for the first 24 hrs, then atop a mixture of clean (but not too clean, I always leave a little old litter to get mixed in) straw and peat moss. The peat moss is real good for keeping litter dry…and great for the garden too.  ;) And once the chicks move to the brooder house (around 5-7 days, those tubs are only temporary) I keep their waters raised up about chick chest level, so the water stays cleaner a lot longer. Bricks work good, or those small round patio stones you can find at the hardware store.

Inside the brooder house (also doubles as a wood shed)

The real test will be how well the plates work outdoors! Hopefully by next spring I will have something built so the chicks can be on ground from day one.

Oh, and I believe Premier sells a neat little waterer that’s meant to sit on top the heat plates, and chicks can drink from the side. I regret not getting one to try!

DeWayne, I use straw because it’s cheap and abundant in my area. Sawdust sounds good, but I’m not sure where I’d ever find enough to use for bedding. I go through quite a bit every season. I tried pine shavings a few times, and liked them well enough, but switched back to straw because of cost. With the ever rising expense of feed and grain, I need to save where I can. But I know what you mean about fire…*shiver*
That must have been very scary finding that. Glad it wasn’t worse! I do use secure chains on all my heat lights, but still worry because anything can happen…and usually does when no one is home.

Duane, what kind of heat plates do you use? I'm really liking the looks of the sweeter heater for an outdoor setup, as it looks like it could be built/wired right in.   :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Schroeder

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
I'm referring to the Brinsea Eco Glow 50 that I use in my brooders. I also have used it in a section of my coop for the first few weeks, when cold temperatures aren't extreme.
Duane

Art Smith

• ABC Members
  • Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
Mike, I do like the sweeter heaters a lot even though they are a little pricey. I think they will be much safer than heat lamps and hopefully more dependable. I have chicks due in May from Paul Smith and I don't want something like a burned out bulb devastating my investment. So I'll start saving my pennies to get a sweeter heater or two for the new arrivals.

HortonHillFarm

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
We have used the sweeter heater for three years now and are very happy with it.  This heater is easy to clean and is water proof.  We used to use heat light bulbs but always concerned with the risk of fire.  We use peat moss for litter and do not have an issue with the brooder being too moist.