Author Topic: 2015 Ameraucana National Meet  (Read 14479 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: 2015 Ameraucana National Meet
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
I've never been to a double show, sounds like a lot of work.

The beach does sound like fun Susan.  But if we go to Arkansas we can take John down to visit the Clinton Library and visit P Allen Smiths place along the river.   Some say it's quite the place.  I heard that one of our members was there this summer to pick up some Wyandottes.

Oh...that is tempting, Don!  Ok, I'm in, save me a seat in the car.  LOL
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
Hi Sharon, is the show in Fayetteville  still the 1st week  in November?

November 1st to be exact.   Entries close Oct. 18th it says.  Guess I need to see if I have anything to bring because time is getting short.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
I've never been to a double show, sounds like a lot of work.

The beach does sound like fun Susan.  But if we go to Arkansas we can take John down to visit the Clinton Library and visit P Allen Smiths place along the river.   Some say it's quite the place.  I heard that one of our members was there this summer to pick up some Wyandottes.

NW Arkansas doesn't have a beach, but it does have a really nice lake just to the north.  Might be a little chilly by then for a dip, but the view is nice.  If someone is so inclined to visit the library, that's a three hour drive south if you push it.  Some also say it looks like a trailer.  Actually, it does.  A big glass double wide.  LOL.   Now,  Bill and Hillary's first house is in Fayetteville though.  I have been driving by another house for years now, and only recently found out that it used to be Bill's getaway summer vacation home.  Ha, maybe way back then it would have been a getaway.  Today, things have expanded so much it's just a house on a hill on the outskirts of town.
Sharon

Beth C

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
How about near the beach and some historical charm? ;)

The Hobby Farmer's Association of the PeeDee has agreed to host our National, if we'd like for them to. Here is a link to their site:
http://www.peedeehfa.org/

They are APA approved and have held a few poultry shows.   Here is a link to their show this year:
http://www.peedeehfa.org/event/pee-dee-poultry-show/

Something to file away for when the nationals come back our way. Since our district now spans from Maine to Florida we'll need to be looking for more options. It's a pretty good ways from the beach, but closer to us than all but one of the NC shows - Fuzz & I need to head down and check it out. Has it ever been called as a meet? How many head do they normally have, and what is the max they can accommodate?

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
Beth

I think their primary limit right now is due to limited number of exhibition cages and they're planning on acquiring more.  Not sure what the capacity of the building is, but I can find out should the need arise. :)
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
Sharon, our family has a history of always needing something on vacation, so we Always seemed to end up going to Walmart during our trips wherever we traveled.  At least near Fayetteville we can finally go to one of the original Walmarts.  Sam Walton's home is pretty famous too and Thorncrown Chapel is near by, both by architect Faye Jones.  When in Rome...

Joking aside, I'm sure either MO or AR will be great locations Paul.  But the national has been at Sedalia twice, maybe it would be good to give Fayetteville a shot?  They may just be hungry enough to give it some extra effort and good ole southern hospitality.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Sharon, our family has a history of always needing something on vacation, so we Always seemed to end up going to Walmart during our trips wherever we traveled.  At least near Fayetteville we can finally go to one of the original Walmarts.  Sam Walton's home is pretty famous too and Thorncrown Chapel is near by, both by architect Faye Jones.  When in Rome...

Joking aside, I'm sure either MO or AR will be great locations Paul.  But the national has been at Sedalia twice, maybe it would be good to give Fayetteville a shot?  They may just be hungry enough to give it some extra effort and good ole southern hospitality.

Yes, I believe the original Walmart museum is located in Bentonville which is just north of Fayetteville.  There are plenty of Walmart supercenters, Sams Clubs etc., in the area.  Fayetteville also has the Walton Arts Center if anyone is into watching plays and such.
Sharon

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Here is a post from another forum:

"I just got home from a dog show held at Purina Farms in Gray Summit, Mo. This is one heck of a place. I wondered if any clubs in the area checked to see if a poultry show could be held on the premises there. It would be a fantastic place to have a show. Purina went all out on the dog facility, and welcoming the competitors to their farm. They have the competition area covered in a rubber type flooring. Great on the old body. I didn't have enough time to take a tour of the facility, but there seemed to be feed testing facilities for all the different species. They had a poultry barn that looked to be top notch. I wished I had more time to look around.  I notice that some of the larger poultry shows are in the same facilities that we use for the dog shows. The grounds in Perry, GA, is another top notch place to have a poultry show.
If you are in the middle of the country, go check out Purina farms just to have something interesting to do for the day. it is a super nice place. Made me think about switching back for Purina for a fleeting moment."

This was followed up by a comment that a poultry show probably would not work there for biosecurity reasons.   But it might be worth checking out.   Sounds like a great venue.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
I've shown at Purina Farms.  The  SSLLRC (Spirit of St Louis Labrador Retriever Club) holds their specialty there the last weekend of October and it is a very nice place!  I haven't been back since 2009 and they didn't have the building complete yet, but my friends in the SSLLRC tell me it is wonderful.

I will definitely plan on attending, even if I have to walk, if the 2015 show is there - I have LOTS of friends nearby from the Labrador community.  Of course, if I'm walking, I might better get started now - it will take me that long just to make it to Don's house outside Charlotte and hope he can give me a ride (or at least some refreshments) for the rest of the way.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
If cooping would be a problem for Purina, here is a thought that might be a little "outside the box."
Why not consider an all Ameraucana or all Ameraucana and Araucana show?    I think Ann Charles with her top notch Araucanas would participate.  With enough publicity I think it could work.   We might have to show up a day or two early to do set-up work.    Someone would need to check on facility rent and allay any potential biosecurity concerns that Purina might have.    Just an idea to investigate or shoot down.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
Lodging would be my concern.  Appears to be only one Travel lodge in Gray Summit.  Doesn't look to new either.  Sedalia has more pet friendly choices, which would be a must for me if I have to travel.  Unless I go alone, which I really wouldn't want to do.
Sharon

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »
Now for the recommendations of using Purina Farms facilities for our 2015 National-What Poultry Show Club is holding a show there?
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
Now for the recommendations of using Purina Farms facilities for our 2015 National-What Poultry Show Club is holding a show there?

That would have to be us.   Some of us might have to bring our own or borrowed/rented cooping.  Maybe Purina could be persuaded to purchase and provide some.   Those are details that would have to be worked out.   It would not hurt to ask Purina - they can only say no, and who knows - they might agree.  I do like the idea of a one (or two) breed show if it can be arranged.   The Rocks and Reds used to do that - two breeds - maybe they still do, I don't know. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:02:07 AM by Mike Gilbert »

Jan

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
I would like to see it held at Fayetteville Ar. Or Shawnee Ok. 

Beth C

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
For purely selfish reasons I'd love for it to be in Prague, since I have friends in the area, but Fayetteville works well for me, too. But I'll go with whatever works for the most people.