Author Topic: 2014 National Meet Results - Lucasville, OH  (Read 16589 times)

Mike Gilbert

Re: 2014 National Meet Results - Lucasville, OH
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
Thanks for posting these additional photos.   There were many really nice birds in the junior show.   Just based on the pictures (not always accurate in real life) my favorite has to be the LF blue wheaten female shown by Matthew Smith.   If I ever decide to get back into the LF wheaten and blue wheaten birds, I think I know where to go.   One thing to remember ( and I wish the judges would too) is that a huge set of muffs is not necessary or even desirable.   Full, yes, but not huge;  shape is more important.
One last point.   Look at the general type of the winning white large fowl and the winning white bantam.  Both females, but  not the same type.   The Ameraucana is not a heavy breed, nor is it a soft feathered breed.   The bantam, while not perfect (none are)  is much closer to the way the Standard was written. 
The best Jr female bantam for type (according to the photos) would be the wheaten IMHO.   Did Paige Lee get her from another breeder?   She looks like a really nice bird.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:26:07 PM by Mike Gilbert »

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 National Meet Results - Lucasville, OH
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks for posting these additional photos.   There were many really nice birds in the junior show.   Just based on the pictures (not always accurate in real life) my favorite has to be the LF blue wheaten female shown by Matthew Smith.   If I ever decide to get back into the LF wheaten and blue wheaten birds, I think I know where to go.  One thing to remember ( and I wish the judges would too) is that a huge set of muffs is not necessary or even desirable.   Full, yes, but not huge;  shape is more important.
One last point.   Look at the general type of the winning white large fowl and the winning white bantam.  Both females, but  not the same type.   The Ameraucana is not a heavy breed, nor is it a soft feathered breed.   The bantam, while not perfect (none are)  is much closer to the way the Standard was written. 
The best Jr female bantam for type (according to the photos) would be the wheaten IMHO.   Did Paige Lee get her from another breeder?   She looks like a really nice bird.

Thanks for posting that Mike.  You just helped me decide which bird to bring to show.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...