Author Topic: Processing  (Read 3660 times)

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Processing
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
Jeff has went through all the chickens for himself and all the 4 H projects, now we need to know if anyone on the forum knows where we can get chickens processed?   We have an over abundance of roosters and we are afraid to try it our selves this year, Jeff's lungs are still not in good shape and fell that we should not do it this yr.  we want to know if there is someplace o
In Ohio, WV, Va, or NC would even work for us.  I have trying calling all over WV and can't find anyone that will process the chickens for us, don't know anywhere else to call here at home.       If anyone has any info that will help me, please share.            Thanks in advance.          Cheryl
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Processing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:01 AM »
You might try some local ad sites to find someone doing processing fairly close to you.  Sometimes we see folks offering grass fed broilers within an hour of our city.  They may have some basic equipment that will help in processing, less time  and labor.   You might also be able to sell some of the cockerels, recoup some expense and share with others.  I've found several groups that value "slow food" flavor chicken much more than what we've become used to in the grocery store
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Russ

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »
check with your local 4 h office they usually have a list of processors for the kids meat pens

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
It would be a long ways for you to drive, but there is an Amish family about 40 minutes from me that has a very clean business and process many birds. I used to take my meat birds there and they did it while I waited. It takes a few hours, but I'd just go hang out at the diner while I waited or sat in my truck using the quiet time to write. There is a local person right around the corner here, but after I seen how dirty her facility was, I won't ever go back. How many birds are you talking about? I'm sure there is some place closer to you...but if not, come on over. I'd love to see you guys again on a less hectic day  :)
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Beth C

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »
check with your local 4 h office they usually have a list of processors for the kids meat pens

Along the same lines, your county extension office may have some information. Duplin County sends me regular notices for clinics, and I think there's a mobile processor that makes his rounds. (Where I grew up 4H & extension svc were pretty much one in the same but they aren't here.  ??? )