• View Profile
Help
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
How do u trap or get rid of a Weasel ?
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Russ

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
build a weasel box and put a rat trap inside of it. A 5x5x12 in box with a removable lid to give access & placing trap. Put 1 1/2 to 2 in hole in the end and place trap facing hole. Weasels are naturally curious and will investigate the hole. You could try some bait also like hamburg. A rat trap will kill a weasel but not a mink they are tougher.

Russ

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
if you need some clarification goto you tube and search weasel trap or box there should be something

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
Jeffery, My first thought was CAREFULLY (they have teeth). I had trouble with a mink about 5 year ago. I assumed it was a weasel, but when I finally caught the critter, it turned out to be a mink. He sure went through two of my growout pens of LF Ameraucanas. He would kill 8-10 a night and they were 3/4 finished out. I caught him with a live trap. I  baited it with canned cat food. He sure was skeptical about the trap but finally gave in after about 2 weeks and I finally got him. I gave away most of the birds after 2 or 3 nights of slaughter.  I figured someone should have them alive instead of the culprit. It wouldn't have been so bad if he was hungry and ate them, but he would just suck the blood out of their necks and go on and kill another bird. Good Luck catching the weasel!
Gordon Gilliam

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:33:14 PM »
Do you know were he is living? Like its hole or were ever it is? I can post a picture of my home made box trap so you can see how i built mine.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Well it is dark and raining hard here so i tryed to get pictures in my shed under the lights. They didn`t turn out very good and my string was broke off on my trap. I will fix it and set it tomorrow so you can see it better. The picture of the metal flap is of a thing that sets off a foot trap. I cut it off and bolted it to the floor. The little pin that holds the flapper up is were the string goes. The bait goes under the pannel and the rock goes on top of the pannel. When the thing you want to catch takes the bait, the rock sets off the trap releasing the string and the door falls behind it. I catch lots of coons rabbits and other animals in this trap.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
  Hope you get him soon!  Twenty years of experience dealing with predators-they will continue to come until they are either stopped by trapping and/or death or there are no more birds for them to graze on.  The only exception has been the pair of mink that came in June 2014.  They hit hard on a Sunday morning while we were gone to church.  Then they returned either late that Sunday night or early Monday morning to kill the remaining of the 45 head that were in the group that they hit.  They have never returned-now 4 months later.

We have had issues with coyotes, foxes, bobcats, coons, opossums, chicken/rat snakes, water turtles, skunks, hawks, stray dogs, mink and a thief.  Chicken is on a lot of menus-even mine!  LOL.
Paul Smith

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
Here are two better pictures. The second one shows more on how it works. Sardines work the best because well they stink. Smelts are a really good bait if you can find some also. Good luck. By the way, i also use this trap to transport chickens and rabbits to our local auction. I set it on the back of my truck.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:46:32 PM by DeWayne Edgin »

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »
I lost two Silver pullets to our own puppy! I think i would rather have a predator than a pet do it! If this puppy disappears, im in trouble with my wife and kids.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:43 AM »
It is hard when the family pets get confused.  Our family Aussie got a couple of growing chicks when she was young and out with me tending to the birds.  She learned though and was a great protector dog and would herd them back into their part of the yard when they strayed.  It takes a lot of patience but worth the effort.  And your family will be happier too.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »
Russ we now have the box built and the trap is set thanks . Dewayne nice home made trap when I get some time I will call u I may try  building some of them.  Paul u are right chicken is on everyone's menu even ours and especially our pastor that is all he talks about at work when am I going to bring some for him to eat.
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Schroeder

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Here's a link to plans for a trap I use.  Over the years I have made them in varying sizes and strengths.  I believe they work much better than the store bought live traps.
Duane
http://www.theseilers.us/MotherEarthNews/MEN_CD/Archive/1984-07-01/69646.html

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
I lost two Silver pullets to our own puppy! I think i would rather have a predator than a pet do it! If this puppy disappears, im in trouble with my wife and kids.

That puppy doesn't look big enough to kill chickens!  It is cute though.  Might be time for some chicken training.  What breed is it?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Max

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
We had a poodle when I was a kid and I lost more chickens to that dog than I did to all other predators combined...  >:(
Max Strawn

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
The puppy is shitzu and about a quarter poddle mix. I have yet to loose a chicken to a predator in atleast three or more years. I leave my hens and pullets out every day to free range and i lock them up at night. I live on the edge of a small mountain to. My other dogs keep predators away but the puppy loves to play and i think she played to hard with the chickens. My ducks are three times her size and she chases them around.