Author Topic: Angel Feathers (horns)  (Read 3022 times)

Angel Feathers (horns)
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:08:42 PM »

Whew
Ok I was not so sure If it was Ok to discuss topick paticular to the breed improvements or not.

Now a real question then

I have a large fowl silver hen, (well a hen by 4-H terms, but still a pullet by APA standards, (she is not quite a year old)..and how
she has almost perfect coloring, something we have been working on for a looong time.
She has done well in the shows
BUT
she has developed \"horns\" as i call them.
Looks like an extra set of muffs on top of her head?
smaller than her muffs, but looks almost like horns, like on a horned owl.
So is she still ok for breeeding?
And how about further shows?

John

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »
I have the same problem and have been told they are \"angel feathers\".  They appear to be an extra set of muffs above and behind the real muffs.  They were pointed out to me at a show, by Paul Smith as I recall.  They are something we have to breed out, but I only have one female without them and she is way too small.  She is in a separate breeding program from the others just because she doesn\'t have them.  As you know we sometimes concentrate so much on breeding out one fault with a variety that we are letting others slide.  With the LF silvers we are trying to get the size up where it should be, reduce (forget about eliminating) shafting, eliminate angel feathers, eliminate white in the male\'s breast, improve type, etc.
I always say \"breed from the best that you have available\", and if they are the best I can find I keep breeding from them.  At the same time I am trying to make improvements with each generation.

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »

well Larry pointed out that some of my hens had \"creasing\' on them were the feathers caused a crease, said it was not a desirable trait, but I am not sure if it was that hen or not, or were the creasing was, (actualy i thought it was near their crops, as mine are not withheld food or water, and sometimes will gorge themselves at the show, so I just ignored it politely)  :(
so any how is it something you can determice as they grow out who will end up with horns?? (she developed them over winter as she matured, so as to try to weed them out of the breeding pens? or is it acceptable to use them for breeding.
are their horns a disqualification?? if not how many points deducted, if any? as I don\'t see mention in the standard either way?

Mike Gilbert

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »
Rita,
I have had the same problem with some of my own birds in the past.   The standard does not say anything about it because it was not an issue at the time the standard was written.   You simply breed away from the problem over time by using compensation mating.   But don\'t throw out the baby with the bath water.    

With muffs & beards, with tails, with size, with type - go for the medium, not the extreme.    That is one of the hallmarks of the breed for everyone to remember

Mike G.

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 12:38:49 AM »

We had a couple chicks hatch with extra long \"fluff\" were their muffs will be, is this possible an earlie sign tha the m ay to, develop thos e \"horns\"?

John

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:13:28 PM »
Below is a photo I took today of one of my LF silver hens.  You will see the Angel Feathers above and behind her muffs.  They look like a secondary muff, but much smaller.
I emailed dan Demarest about this topic because he is the guy that knows a guy, Ray, that was breeding for \"Angel Feathers\" as I recall.  Anyway Dan forwarded part of Ray\'s reply and he decribed them.
The feathers flare out just behind the ears similar to like a cobra head. This trait started in my white line

He also said:
My guess is that to get angle feathers, the bird has to carry two genes for beard/muffs.

Angel Feathers (horns)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

yes, the feathering of secondary \"muffs\" looks simular on my hen, hers are shorter on top, and she has a fuller set of muffs and beard.
hopefully she is the exception, and doesn\'t become the rule..it would be a shame to start all over again after coming so far.