Author Topic: color question  (Read 4350 times)

faith valley

color question
« on: June 14, 2005, 08:50:34 PM »
In the wheaten and blue wheaten varieties, I have been noticing  3 different shades, light, medium and dark.  Which is the correct or desired shade, as far as standard coloring goes?

~Patty~

Mike Gilbert

color question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 06:03:17 PM »
Patty,
Are you referring to the tan color of the females or the breast color of the males?   The lighter color in females is to be preferred, so long as sound wing and tail color remains.
In males, the breast should be a medium shade of blue with darker lacing around the edge of the feathers.   See the written standard descriptions in either the ABA or APA written Standards.    If you are referring to something else, please be more explicit.   Thanks.

Mike Gilbert

faith valley

color question
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »
Mike,

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.  I was referring to the color of the females.  I have seen some at shows that are very light tan and others that are a rustier brown in the blue wheaten variety.  I was just curious as to which is preferred for the show floor,  the darker colored females or the lighter colored ones.

And in the wheaten variety, is the lighter tan color also desired over the rustier color of brown?

Mike Gilbert

color question
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 11:30:13 PM »
Yes, according to the standards the lighter colors in females are to be preferred.    But we can\'t forget about tail and wing coloration either, and those are easier to accomplish with the darker females.   So it continues to be a challenge to produce the proper balance, but it is doable.

Mike