Author Topic: Ohio National Meet  (Read 2529 times)

Mike Gilbert

Ohio National Meet
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »
I was there, but only showed a pair of LF Brown Reds that had been presold to DeWayne.   The pullet laid two eggs during the show.   I'm happy to report that Jerry DeSmidt had the champion AOSB with a very nice white cockerel.   I believe Bob Rennolet had reserve white on a hen or pullet - I was traveling with Bob.
Also, Camille L. took the reserve AOSB trophy with a black female.   Looked like the same bird that is pictured on the front page of the November Poultry Press.   Jerry had the top placing in bantams with a blue wheaten cockerel, and if I remember correctly the reserve Am Bantam with a wheaten pullet, but they did not go to champion row.  So congrats on a fine meet and some outstanding wins.   

John

Re: Ohio National Meet
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »
Two LF on champion row sounds great.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
Mike i got 2 eggs today!! I guess 2 of them are laying unless one egg was under the straw and i missed it yesterday!!  :)

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
They are good layers.   If the two eggs are the same shade of blue and about the same shape, they are probably from the same pullet.    The youngest one has the nicest coloring on the head and hackles - I'm thinking she may end up being the best of the five, but she needs to grow first. 

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
I do think they were from the same pullet, and i only found one egg today that is the same as the others.

John

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
http://www.ohionational.org/

Champion Americana - Jerry DeSmidt - Cockerel White

Reserve Champion Americana - Camille Lewandowski - Hen Black

Some of you have heard why I dislike the Ohio National (not "Nationals") show, in Columbus with a passion.  For those that don't, here it is.  The last time they hosted our ABC National meet we entered over 250 Ameraucanas.  Even though most if not all entry forms had spelled Ameraucana correctly, NOT ONE coop card had it right.  They were all hand written and they spelled it at least 3 different ways, but obviously went out of their way to not spell it as written on the entry forms they took the information from.  There is even a book, called the Standard, that they could have looked at to check the spelling if there was a question about it.
Here it is years later and they still can't get it right.  There are also other reasons I won't attend the Columbus show again, but I won't get into them.  The one I mentioned is enough and should be something that every ABC member should keep in mind before entering Ameraucanas there in the future.
I almost went there this year for a weekend get a way with chicken friends and a different breed's national meet, but I wouldn't have entered any Ameraucanas.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:59:27 PM by John Blehm »