Author Topic: Cuckoo pattern  (Read 4656 times)

Michael Newman

Cuckoo pattern
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
Hello,

I was encouraged to share this here so I thought I'd get some opinions.  This is a single barred cuckoo cockerel.  I had mated a black ameraucana to a single barred cuckoo hen.  All the cockerels came out single barred and the females came out black.  I plan to mate this cockerel back to some black hens which should give me single barred cockerels and pullets.   After I feel like I've gotten the type to a certain point I'll mate a single barred cock to a single barred hen which should give me the double barring in the males and the single barring in the females. 

The legs have some dark spots on them, thankfully.  Definitely not slate but thankfully not completely white either. 

Mike Gilbert

Re: Cuckoo pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
I believe Jerry Segler was working on these at one time.   Maybe he will chime in.   I was always of the opinion that the barring gene would prevent dermal melanin.   Dermal melanin (dark pigment in the under layer of skin on the shanks and toes)  is a breed characteristic of the Ameraucana.   For that reason I saw little hope of success, but am certainly willing to be proven incorrect.   Chickens with dark feathers will often show dark pigment in the outer layer of skin on the legs (the epidermis).   You can check the color of the dermis when you butcher a bird or post one that dies by cutting through the skin at the hock joint and pulling back the outer layer of skin on the leg.   What is left underneath will be either white/colorless or will be a dark gray.   The dark gray is what we need in the Ameraucana. 

Michael Newman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mike.  I had heard the exact same thing about the barring gene.  Maybe there's a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that it can be done, we shall see!

I had spoke with Jerry Segler back in May of this year about this project but didn't have any birds to show.

jerryse

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
I have been working on these for a few years . It is not impossible to get slate legs but it is a challenge . I have emailed with Marvin on the coop and he goes by Nicalandia on BYC . He told me the linkage for these genes will break about once in 14,000 . I believe I may have this now . The mottled project seems to have achieved this also . I also theorize that color can block or change this effect . Millie Fleur has no problem with mottling and slate legs . I think lavender cuckoo may be a color with less leg color problems . I have a few of these with good leg color . I butchered culls this year and checked leg color . I had thought the spotted legs were from spots on the inner layer and some slate on the outer layer . To my surprise the inner layer was light slate with dark spots . The outer layer had a light wash of slate/black . Barring is very useful in sexing day old chicks . Cuckoo can be sexed at day old like Barred Rocks . The double barred males have a larger head spot . Crele is auto sexing . Sex links can be made with barred hens and non barred males . All males will be sinle barred showing a small head spot . Females will not be barred .