Author Topic: Lice and Mites  (Read 6709 times)

DeWayne Edgin

Lice and Mites
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
I was told today that ashes from a wood stove are good to put in chicken pens to get rid of mites and lice. Has anyone else ever heard of this before? I am wondering if it is true and if anyone else uses them? Thanks.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Lice and Mites
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
Ashes are typically very alkaline, and can be used in the garden to raise the ph of the soil.  (The Charcoal from the ashes is used in some gardening methods, thought to extend soil nutrients)  The ashes also should have some effect on odors like the post on lime mentioned sometime back.  I have seen wild birds dusting in the ashes of our fire pit.  My guess is they could make the coop very dusty if you use lots. I'm not sure if the high ph could hurt the skin on the birds.  Why not try a test dust box in one of the pens mixing the ashes and dry sand.  It's worth a try.  See if it makes a difference on the birds in that pen first.   

The pigeon folks have been using tobacco stems in their lofts/nests for many years to repel insects too.  I expect there are other plants that might help in this same way. 

Good luck, and let us know how it works.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:10:58 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:51:44 PM »
Good idea Don, i think i will try it on my non breeding birds first.

Tailfeathers

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:33:51 AM »
I'd recommend adding some Permaguard DE to the sand mixture.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »
Hey DeWayne,  Glad to see you on the forum, haven't seen you on for a while.

I wanted to bump this, I had been thinking about it for a while.  I have one pen where scale mites has been persistent.  Strangely I've seen it happen in the "yellow legged" Rocks/Leghorns here and not the Slate legs.

Did you give this a try and did it work for you?
Don Cash

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
No i did not. I never had a lice or mite problem here and i hope i never do so i didn`t have a reason to try it. I do have an outside woodstove that still has ashes in it though from this past winter. I just heard that ashes worked and i was wondering if anyone else has heard of it. I figured if it was true then i would have a cheap fix if i ever needed it. I can`t spell very good but i thought that ashes would probably be similar to Dimactiousearth. I need to get my spell check back on my phone. But i will check my birds and see and if i see any, i will try the ashes. I do use hartz flea spray for dogs and cats on them about once a month.

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »
DE earth or Ash is useless in my opinion. It wont really work in the short run. I spray the pens with a spray pump of permethrin diluted with water. It kills on contact. I also mix in the poultry dust with peremethrin in their dust bathing spots, nest boxes and all over the coop. For serious bug infestation on a bird. I dip them in water with permethrin. It gets everywhere and kills every critter on them instantly

3.25 oz of permethrin concentrate for every 5 gallons of water.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
I agree with Cesar that ashes or DE probably won't do much good if you already have an infestation. That would be the time to get aggressive with permethrin. But I've found DE to be quite effective in warding off problems before they start.

I use DE on the coop floors, dust the ground in the runs, and sprinkle it in all the nest boxes.  It also repels the ants that, down here in the deep south, are a problem in and around feeders and even the nest boxes.

I haven't tried the ashes, though - might have to start saving the ashes from our fireplace each winter.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses and the information.  I also saw a post on the internet where a breeder swears by home made orange oil and white vinegar.  I am going to give them a dust bath with the ashes and try some of the other approaches.  Its good to have options and the greener the better in my mind.  We used to get a product called Black Leaf 40, basically concentrated nicotine. But it is no longer on the market.  I wish I knew someone that was still raising their own tobacco and could let me have some tobacco stems.  It does smell nice and the bugs don't seem to like it.  Think we could learn something from them?  One of my first Bosses told me that without tobacco, there would be no North Carolina.  Probably a lot of truth for periods of time in the past.       
Don Cash

Sarah Meaders

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »
There have been two different times I found crawlies on some of my chickens over the past two years. Both times, I dusted all of them, whether they had them or not, with DE, as well as the floors of the coops, their nesting boxes, and their favorite dust bathing spots. Both times, the crawlies were gone in a couple days. I checked them frequently for a couple weeks after just to make sure.

Now, I sprinkle DE in their coop floors since I use sand as the coop bedding and dust each bird at the start of winter and again at the start of summer for prevention. I just now checked all of the chickens since I sold my Australorps, and I didn't see a single crawly on any of them.

I have never had a full blown infestation, so I can't attest to how well DE would work in that situation, but the two times I had a small problem, it fixed it very quickly. I try to stay as natural as possible, so DE is my first choice. They consume a little, too, since they eat off the sand in their coop, and that is said to be good for internal parasites and cleansing, too, so even better.

Be careful with DE, though, for two things. You don't want to breathe it in, and you don't want them to breathe a bunch in either. Also, don't use it around gardens or flowers. It will kill bees just like it does other bugs, and we need bees! I won't use it for pest control of the garden for that reason.
Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me! Let us exhale His name together! Psalm 34:3